ZZ Top La Grange .. stonking version on Howard Stern show

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
Good to see the ZZ Top boys back ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Made me smile, thanks. 

Great noise for three old fellas.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Love the song, but I thought that rendition was poor.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m amazed Howard Stern is still going. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I’m amazed Howard Stern is still going. 
    Ditto all of ZZ Top ;-)
  • That guitar is SINGING!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 993
    Great song. Of all the lawsuits you hear about, Noel gallagher seems to have gotten away with blatantly copying this one and calling it the swamp song.  Fwiw Billy Gibbons is 69, Howard Stern is 65. Few years left in them yet.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Keiko said:
    Great song. Of all the lawsuits you hear about, Noel gallagher seems to have gotten away with blatantly copying this one and calling it the swamp song.  Fwiw Billy Gibbons is 69, Howard Stern is 65. Few years left in them yet.
    What a daft thing to say. Given that Swamp Song is purely instrumental I assume you’re talking about the fact that they are both relatively standard/stock/generic blues riffs in A. The ZZ song certainly has more swing about it than Oasis.

But there’s probably a million and one variations on this riff out there by any number of artists, in fact I very much doubt that ZZ “invented” it so to speak. They probably cribbed it from their heroes! 
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5154
    I’ve been going through some old ZZ Top tunes and re learning them, and having much fun!! Tush, Francine, Brown Sugar, La Grange, etc... The Reverend Billy at his best :)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    edited February 2019
    tone1 said:
    I’ve been going through some old ZZ Top tunes and re learning them, and having much fun!! Tush, Francine, Brown Sugar, La Grange, etc... The Reverend Billy at his best
    It’s a shame Francine has such dodgy lyrics, it’s a decent song otherwise (sounds like it was inspired by the Stones maybe?)

Their earlier material is generally better than the later stuff IMO, Tres Hombres is my all time favourite ZZ album, although there’s still the odd gem like My Head’s in Mississippi and Rhythmeen. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    tone1 said:
    I’ve been going through some old ZZ Top tunes and re learning them, and having much fun!! Tush, Francine, Brown Sugar, La Grange, etc... The Reverend Billy at his best
    It’s a shame Francine has such dodgy lyrics, it’s a decent song otherwise (sounds like it was inspired by the Stones maybe?)

Their earlier material is generally better than the later stuff IMO, Tres Hombres is my all time favourite ZZ album, although there’s still the odd gem like My Head’s in Mississippi and Rhythmeen. 
    They aren’t short of dodgy lyrics ( Mexican Blackbird for starters...) although I suppose the saving grace is that they can be seen as tongue in cheek. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Keiko said:
    Great song. Of all the lawsuits you hear about, Noel gallagher seems to have gotten away with blatantly copying this one and calling it the swamp song.
    Ahem. Listen to Shake Your Hips from the Rolling Stones album Exile on Main Street.