Whitesnake - "Shut Up & Kiss Me"

What's Hot

Comments

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    It's fine, fun and the best Coverdale will sound cos live it's horrible - I always think these bands need to stop it with the young women tho - literally could be their grand daughters lol - good fun song and vid tho :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Great track, cool video and Reb Beach :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I saw him a few years ago - women from the audience giving him flowers.

He's pushing 70 now, so it might be time to move on from playing the old perv.

But heck, if he's enjoying it and continues to sell the product, then who can argue?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22775
    It's.... not bad. 

I would say better than their recent output but I can't be sure because I can never stand to listen to the albums more than once or twice.

I wish I hadn't watched the bit after the song ended though.
    Philly_Q said:
    It's.... not bad. 

I would say better than their recent output but I can't be sure because I can never stand to listen to the albums more than once or twice.

I wish I hadn't watched the bit after the song ended though.
    I didn't make it past half-way.

Northwinds was his best album, IMHO; it'd be kindof cool if he did drop back to the soulful blues stuff.
    prowla said:
    Northwinds was his best album, IMHO; it'd be kind of cool if he did drop back to the soulful blues stuff.
    With his voice as it is now?  Eek.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Awful vocal.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • Cool song, but the video was a bit corny.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Coverdale is shite live - I just end up concentrating on Tommy Aldridge, because he's awesome.
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    edited February 2019
    Sounds like a proper well-produced bit of rock music! But actually it’s just here we go again with a pile of out-of-date hackneyed old unwelcome rubbish that we really don’t need in this day and age. Reb is awesome though. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Whitesnake were my first band, back in (guessing) 1983-4 when Slide it In came out.

Went back through the whole catalogue (right the way back to Northwinds etc) and loved it.

Yes it was tongue in cheek, but it was done well and it was a different time.

Problem is I was 14 when I got into it, I'm 49 now - and the lyrics have gone backwards not forwards.

Coverdale had one of the great rock voices, really just amazing - and he'd kill it live, when the operations came in the late 80s that all changed and as others have said - he's pretty old now and that's showing, not only in his appearance (which is a bit disturbing to say the least!) but also in his powers.

And it's not the 70's/80's any more - please no more 'young fillies on the bonnet of the Jag' Dave

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    Reb is awesome though. 
    He is.  But much more so in Winger than he is in Whitesnake.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Philly_Q said:
    viz said:
    Reb is awesome though. 
    He is.  But much more so in Winger than he is in Whitesnake.
    Wis'd.
    Reb is the only thing I like about this track.
    The rest is by the numbers formula stadium rock that could be a Warrant b-side.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That was a great pastiche of 80’s Whitesnake by, erm... Whitesnake. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just listened to this - but haven't watched the video. Coverdale had one of the best all time rock voices ever. It's gone now though, which is really sad. But age comes to us all. Even with studio trickery he still sounds very rough on this song. 

• 1987 is still the high watermark for me, I remember getting it home and after not being an early WS fan was hooked from then, mostly John Sykes guitar lighting a real fire under the band.  They will never be the same but that's true of all the greats...he isn't going to get it back same as McCartney etc etc
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    That song would have been questionable in 1989, and is downright unacceptable in 2019 - not referring to the objectification of women, just the quality of the music!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Formulaic Whitesnake by numbers - it could have appeared on the 1987 album and the video is a nod to the 80s with the white Jag. The last few Whitesnake albums I've listened to have suffered from dire mastering - too loud and muddy.

Great band live.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    edited February 2019
    How disappointing; I was hoping for a cover of the Mary Chapin Carpenter song. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    prowla said:
    Northwinds was his best album, IMHO; it'd be kind of cool if he did drop back to the soulful blues stuff.
    With his voice as it is now?  Eek.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom