In Space No One Can Hear You Scream

What's Hot

Comments

• KeikoKeiko Frets: 993

prowla said:
    I saw it at the pictures when it first came out (haha!).

I also saw Jaws and Star Wars way back...
    A long time ago....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    tekbow said:
    tekbow said:
    Directors cut of Alien3 is better than Aliens.
    Agreed, although.... it's not actually a directors cut.

Fanboi.

I believe it's called an Assembly cut as David Fincher wasn't involved. It follows the shooting script I think, which was also what the novel of the movie used.

On the subject of Alien movies, I always found this very amusing.

I knew that.

Did you read the wooden planet script? I’d love to have seen that made!
    I read a description of it years ago in the teenage years of the internet, I must try and find a copy somewhere since things like that are infinitely easier to find now.
    I've got a book somewhere - Greatest sci-fi films never made or something like that.. goes into it in there. Would have been great.. They also did write follow-ups to Aliens, but never got made again so they published them as novels, whole things were centred around Newt & Hicks.. they renamed them for publishing as it was no longer 'official'

Think it was the 25th anniversary i saw the directors cut of Alien in the cinema, was fantastic. Got a speeding ticket. Worth it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    edited February 2019
    I remember the furore about the chest scene back in the day, exciting stuff! However, I showed the film to my older daughter (she was probably 15 at the time) and she just laughed hysterically at the alien bursting out. I guess the bar has moved on scary ...

It's a brilliant film though. Way better than all the sequels.
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited February 2019
    LuttiS said:
    tekbow said:
    tekbow said:
    Directors cut of Alien3 is better than Aliens.
    Agreed, although.... it's not actually a directors cut.

Fanboi.

I believe it's called an Assembly cut as David Fincher wasn't involved. It follows the shooting script I think, which was also what the novel of the movie used.

On the subject of Alien movies, I always found this very amusing.

I knew that.

Did you read the wooden planet script? I’d love to have seen that made!
    I read a description of it years ago in the teenage years of the internet, I must try and find a copy somewhere since things like that are infinitely easier to find now.
    I've got a book somewhere - Greatest sci-fi films never made or something like that.. goes into it in there. Would have been great.. They also did write follow-ups to Aliens, but never got made again so they published them as novels, whole things were centred around Newt & Hicks.. they renamed them for publishing as it was no longer 'official'

Think it was the 25th anniversary i saw the directors cut of Alien in the cinema, was fantastic. Got a speeding ticket. Worth it.
    That sounds familiar... is that what they based the first run of Dark Horse comics around? I'm pretty sure the original run had Newt and Hicks named as such, then had to change them in later runs.

Fanboi moment warning.

The Directors Cut wasn't the directors cut lol

I'm so sorry... I can't help myself...

Anyway, they've called it the directors cut, but the original film is Ridleys true cut of Alien.

What happened was (and he says as much In the directorial commentary on the anniversary edition) was a lot of fans wanted to see the famous cut scenes such as the crew listening to the transmission, Dallas cocooned, the cat fight between Ripley and Lambert etc. Fox were doing it with or without Ridley Scott, so he agreed to oversee the cut so that it was done "right".

Personally I agree with his reasoning for leaving those scenes out. In the commentary of the original Legacy box set release, he remarked that the cocoon sequence ruined the pacing at that point of the film. The drive is to get off the ship as urgently as possibly, then that momentum disappears as she stops to go into this room where Dallas is all gooey and gross.

I also like the sound FX of the original transmission scene much better rather than what was created for the 25th anniversary cut.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    There's even a YT vid comparing the two!

Yeah i like the original better, and the cocoon scene, while cool to 'see' i agree it does ruin the pacing somewhat..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    I saw Alien when it first came out. Loved it then and still think it’s up there as one of the best sci-fi films ever made. The chest burster scene was shocking at the time, but watching it again it’s a bit ruined by the alien’s squeaking noise and comedy exit.  
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9662
    I seem to recall a newspaper review of Alien along the lines of 'Seven grown adults chase glove puppet around spacecraft'.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7336
    In Space no-one can eat I Scream

Had an Alien moment yesterday when I went to remove the Wasp Empire in the loft...

Just as I got the Masseeeve structure into a black bin bag (it filled it completely, the Queen emerged and was buzzing me angrily!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • tekbow said:
    is that what they based the first run of Dark Horse comics around? 
    That was the William Gibson version (I think they've adapted it again) - the wooden planet version was by Vincent Ward, best known for a film called The Navigator, where some people from 14th Century Cumbria climb through the centre of the earth to 20th Century New Zealand. He also made What Dreams May Come, about Robin Williams in the afterlife. Generally his movies are beautiful but mad.

Ward/Fasano script here: http://www.horrorlair.com/scripts/alien3_fasano.html
    Ward Alien 3 concept art here: http://vincentwardfilms.com/project/concepts/alien-3/graphic-novel-in-8-parts/part-1/

William Gibson script here: https://www.awesomefilm.com/script/Alien3.txt

I must be avoiding work or something, sorry. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Well that was awesome. If there’s a film that really deserves to be seen in the dark on a big screen then it’s Alien. 

Sat next to a couple seeing it for the first time, so was quite fun seeing their reactions. 

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I think I've seen them all at cinema except for the original. Must check to see if it's on locally.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    I love Alien but being honest I like Aliens even more - arguably the greatest sequel movie ever made.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I love Alien but being honest I like Aliens even more - arguably the greatest sequel movie ever made ..........
    ...... other than The Godfather 2 & 3.
    I love Alien but being honest I like Aliens even more - arguably the greatest sequel movie ever made.
    GAME OVER MANNN!!

Space 'Nam.. Agreed.. best sequel ever :)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Keiko said:

prowla said:
    I saw it at the pictures when it first came out (haha!).

I also saw Jaws and Star Wars way back...
    A long time ago....
    In a place far far away...
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    I've not seen it for years, so to see it again on the big screen, on Friday was superb. 

It still stands up.  Sure, some of the exterior shots of the Nostromo and the shuttle are a bit clunky but the rest looks as good as any modern sci-fi. 

Screw Bridget Jones, Ripley is a true hero - which makes Alien a proper chick flick. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    anyway shouldn't it be "in space no-one can scream" as there's no air to allow you to scream with? 

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24292
    PSA:  The Meerkat Movies trick...

If you buy any insurance from comparethemarket.com, you get buy-one-get-one-free cinema tickets for a year.

I’ve just bought travel insurance for a two day trip within the UK for the princely sum of £2.20.  Now I get half-price cinema (and 2-for-1 meals at certain restaurants) for a whole year!  Bargain!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom