Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Upgrading Epiphone Dot pickups etc

What's Hot
OnparOnpar Frets: 415
I got my Epiphone dot that I discussed on a previous thread and it genuinely played better than the Gibson ES 355! I think it might have something to do with the fact I am bot a massive fan of binding. But the Gibson sounded much much better - more clarity, less muddy, more articulate etc. So I am looking to upgrade the bits that might make this sound better. I understand that it won't ever sound as good because it's not the same guitar but there should be room for improvement. This is where I am looking for advice as I have zero knowledge on guitar electronics.

Any recommendations for pickups?

Also what else do I need to upgrade? wiring harness, tone pots etc?

I will ask a tech to undertake the work but want to know what to ask for.

Thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    edited February 2019
    I upgraded my Dot and it now sounds fantastic.

I put in a Seymour Duncan Vintage Blues Set (https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/vintage-blues-set) and a superb harness, switches and knobs from @sixstringsupplies - https://www.sixstringsupplies.co.uk/product/es335-harness (with the short frame switch).

I did the job myself, bit of a faff but do-able.

Loving it.
  • mr_airmr_air Frets: 24
    As far as pickups there's a lot of options and it all comes down to how much you're willing to spend. There's another quite new thread on IronGear pickups and they seem to get great reviews compared to the relatively low price. If you want a step or two up the ladder I'll suggest you look into Oil City Pickups or Mojo Pickups as both manufactures have a really good rep. I have only played a few Oil City pickups, but they really deliver great tone. Of course there's a lot of other pickup manufactures so you're really spoiled for choice.

You also need to figure out what kind of pickup you're aiming for. As the Dot is a semi-hollow I presume that you're interested in lower output humbuckers, but you might as well want to considder a pair of humbusker sized p90.

I'm not sure what quality Epiphone use for the other electronic parts and if you need to change anything here. Hopefully someone else with a little more experience will chime in here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have a set of Gibson '57s in my Dot and a new wiring loom and switch plus a Tone Pros bridge, and brass nut. Sounds ace.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 415
    Wow sounds like these upgrades make a big difference. Thanks for the advice. It's surprising how many people have the dot! 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Neck/Rhythm - covered PAF type with Alnico 4 magnet

Bridge/Treble - something a little bit hotter, UOA5 magnet.

A500k pots. No 300k!
    Be seeing you.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Stormy Mondays work a treat in my Sheraton - all new loom and pots too.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    I put Tonerider Rocksongs in mine .Really good pickups .
    I think for pickups you're going to get a wide variety of recommendations, so it's probably going to come down to your personal preference. The only other issues are whether you want to replace the whole wiring harness, switches and jacks (and maybe nut and bridge). I replaced the harness as I said above. I couldn't tell you if it affects the overall tone, but the tone pots are way better (50s wiring) and it certainly feels a whole lot better and I know the switch is solid.
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 415
    So you didn't think the wiring harness sounded any different? I am really only interested in the sound at this point.
    edited February 2019
    Onpar said:
    So you didn't think the wiring harness sounded any different? I am really only interested in the sound at this point.
    It's hard to A/B the old and new harnesses objectively. ;-)

But with better pots, caps and wires in a new harness it will be an improvement. And if you're inside the F-holes wiring new pickups you may as well do it at the same time.
    Onpar said:
    On mine yes .. went for top notch components and a decent switch (Epi switches tend to break)  and pots etc. It improved the sweep of the volume and tone controls which improved the tone.

I also got my pickups second-hand from someone who'd swapped them out of a Gibson guitar.

Onpar said:

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Fretwired said:
    Onpar said:
    On mine yes .. went for top notch components and a decent switch (Epi switches tend to break)  and pots etc. It improved the sweep of the volume and tone controls which improved the tone.

I also got my pickups second-hand from someone who'd swapped them out of a Gibson guitar.
    I have changed the pickups and tuners on my harley benton 335 and it sounds really nice (also went with Seymour Duncan Vintage Blues) but I have had problems with the jack socket, have had to reattach the wire a few times.  I've looked at the pre wired harnesses, how hard are they to change if you aren't doing the pickups?

Its the semi hollow faffs that have put me off so far!
  • I had the whole harness redone in my Epiphone Riviera last year - if there was a direct tone difference, it was minimal, but the pots now actually had some sort of sweep rather than on/off and the switch actually works. If you're replacing the pickups and you have the funds spare, it makes sense to do both while you're ripping parts out.
    munckee said:
    I have changed the pickups and tuners on my harley benton 335 and it sounds really nice (also went with Seymour Duncan Vintage Blues) but I have had problems with the jack socket, have had to reattach the wire a few times.  I've looked at the pre wired harnesses, how hard are they to change if you aren't doing the pickups?

I changed the pickups on my Dot first, then the harness a year later. I was never happy with the original wiring and hardware that I stuffed back in and it always annoyed me knowing that I'd spent money on nice pickups but they were attached to crappy wiring.

So I replaced the harness with a pre-built one in January this year. I had to drill out the holes with a stepper drill to make them a tad wider, but that was the easy part. A bit of soldering and various bits of string attached to the jack socket and pots, a bit of faffing with tangled string (take two!) and it was done. I feel very smug and pleased with myself now. ;-)
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    On my Dot I cut and  shut (spliced)the pickups safe in the knowledge that it would all have to be done in the end and it did.A wire came off a  year later and I replaced all the wiring with quality parts .I didnt hear a difference frankly  and to honest I doubt anyone else dose sin terms of tone etc  but the pots give a better sweep which all helps.I always find the selector switch goes on cheaper guitars first .It has on several of mine  but hasnt on my Gibson so I suppose it says something.
    munckee said:
    Fretwired said:
    Onpar said:

I gave it to a luthier to do at LA Guitars in London. Took about an hour. He had the right tools and know how.

rossi said:
    On my Dot I cut and  shut (spliced)the pickups safe in the knowledge that it would all have to be done in the end and it did.A wire came off a  year later and I replaced all the wiring with quality parts .I didnt hear a difference frankly  and to honest I doubt anyone else dose sin terms of tone etc  but the pots give a better sweep which all helps.I always find the selector switch goes on cheaper guitars first .It has on several of mine  but hasnt on my Gibson so I suppose it says something.
    I found the tone controls had more variation than the standard pot which went from bright to dark with bugger all tone wise in-between. The volume was also more sensitive so rolling the volume down a few cents still gave a full bodied tone where as with the standard pots it was all or nothing such was the sweep. So I'd say changing the electrics and pots improved the tone.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31371
    Having recently reacquainted myself with Epiphone humbuckers the first thing I'd suggest is that you take the covers off and try them again. If you like how they sound but prefer the look with covers get some decent ones on there.
  • p90fool said:
    Having recently reacquainted myself with Epiphone humbuckers the first thing I'd suggest is that you take the covers off and try them again. If you like how they sound but prefer the look with covers get some decent ones on there.
    I’ve noticed that removing the covers improved the tone of my Epiphone pickups . Mine were packed full of wax much of which ran out when I melted the solder holding the covers on. After a quick clean up they look fine and sound a whole lot better.