Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend me a good Indian cookbook.

What's Hot
Like a fool i got rid of my old Indian cookbook because i had bought a new one. 
The new one has a lot of modern deconstructed nonsense in. I went through 75 pages on Amazon trying find my old one. No joy i think i picked it up from a supermarket.
Please can someone recommend me a decent cookbook (preferably with a decent veggie friendly section)?
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Our Maud recommends "Rick Stein's India", subtitled "In Search of the Perfect Curry", which was linked to his TV series.

It has almost 70 pages of vegetable recipes, so you should find something in there!

• I had friends who had travelled a lot in India ( and the Middle East and China,etc,etc) and they were vegetarian and they relied on a Madhur Jaffrey book. I can’t spot the exact one on amazon but the recipes were always clear and apparently authentic as you could reasonably do without hard to get ingredients. So I’d be looking at her books, 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Bible.  It's excellent:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Madhur-Jaffreys-Ultimate-Curry-Bible/dp/0091874157

We've cooked loads of her recipes from that one and have given copies of it to friends and family who are likewise impressed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581

Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Bible.  It's excellent:

We've cooked loads of her recipes from that one and have given copies of it to friends and family who are likewise impressed.

This, in spades.  Anything Madhur Jaffrey has written is gold.

If, however, you're looking more for the "British Curry House" experience this one is great:

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I would watch rick stein's indian recipes on youtube.  I've done some of his indian stuff and enjoyed it all.
  • Bezzer said:

Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Bible.  It's excellent:

This, in spades.  Anything Madhur Jaffrey has written is gold.

If, however, you're looking more for the "British Curry House" experience this one is great:

This and that and the other guy who said the same. 

Curry Bible is exceptional, and leads to stuff like you actually get in India, which is way better than the generic English-taste-adjusted fare you get at home. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Gordon's Great Escape
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2260
    The Hairy Bikers Great Curries is also good.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    You'll be wanting Harvey Day's Book of Curries then.  Best curry book there is and my staple since 1973.  On eBay for about £3.00 these days.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Have you seen Parveen's Indian Kitchen on ITV? She looks fantastic for a fifty-something year old. And makes a mean curry.  
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 308
    I have the Rick Stein one, the Madhur Jaffrey one and the Curry Guy's (amongst others). All are very good but if I had to choose one of those three it'd be the Rick Stein I think- it really is great, as was the TV series. If it is Indian food you are looking for that is, that particular Madhur Jaffrey one does feature curries from other places. 

Another book worth a mention is Meera Sodha's "Made in India". Like the Curry Guy's book it offers a UK perspective on Indian food but whereas the Curry Guy recreates takeaway food Sodha's book features home cooking from a British family of Indian heritage.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2157
    Thanks guys. Definitely some suggestions i will check out at payday
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    edited February 2019
    Any recommendation for a curry book where the recipes aren't massively labour-intensive? Most of the ones I've seen so far assume you are prepared to spend hours doing fiddly prep and cooking.
  • I use YouTube for recipes now. I love Indian vegetarian meals. Dal is one of my favourites. Check out these:
    https://youtu.be/S8IYrdgZLH4

https://youtu.be/IbQYPwqaSSA

https://youtu.be/UfFWhcmkySY

https://youtu.be/tyGDGEEDmvM

Also , for BIR, Al is great 

https://youtu.be/LOn9wkjLpCc
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    NeilMcG said:
    Any recommendation for a curry book where the recipes aren't massively labour-intensive? Most of the ones I've seen so far assume you are prepared to spend hours doing fiddly prep and cooking.
    Unfortunately that's rather the point with Indian food, it's all in the prep, and authenticity demands starting with fresh ingredients.

• blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    The Noon book of Authentic Indian Cookery - he may be the (now deceased) multi millionaire Curry King who gave us Bombay mix & CTM, but the recipes are from his best chefs.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    Nitefly said:
    Our Maud recommends "Rick Stein's India", subtitled "In Search of the Perfect Curry", which was linked to his TV series.

It has almost 70 pages of vegetable recipes, so you should find something in there!

My Mrs actually made some of the Rick Stein stuff and declared it authentic, she'd know, she's from near Pune.

So thumbs up for Rick Stein.

I eat Indian food 3 or 4 days a week. A fair amount of the easy stuff can be bland. The tasty stuff is labour intensive by and large.
  • My lass is from West Bengal and thought the Rick Stein programme job india was spot on and often uses the cookbook.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    edited February 2019
    NeilMcG said:
    I can recommend some Pataks’s curry pastes... (only half joking - a huge amount of good curry is in the base, which can take a long time to do properly, especially when you’re new to it)

That said, start with Butter Chicken. You can prep the tandoori chicken in advance and it doesn’t have to take long. Then you only need to chop about 3 things, then add stuff to a pan in the right order and keep stirring. It’s dead easy and super-tasty. Jaffrey’s recipe is a great starting point.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires