Anti Drone no-fly zone extended

blobbblobb Frets: 2932

"The enlarged zone will come into force from 19 March ahead of new drone legislation, which will give police new powers to stop and search those they believe are misusing the devices and a power to access electronic data stored on a drone with a warrant."

I can see why it's not a good idea to fly drones near Airports. But why give stop and search powers to access electronic data? - presumably video.

What don't they want people seeing?

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I suppose video captured by the drone will prove where it's been flying?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24195
    I suppose video captured by the drone will prove where it's been flying?
    This.

The data IS the video they film. Will also prove what handset it was being controlled by.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    Some of these devices are controlled via phone apps aren't they? Could this allow them to use mobile phone locations to link a user to a location.  5km is presumably the limit of the drone tracking radar.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24195
    If you read the quote you made - access to electronic data needs a warrant.
    More than just plod asking for it.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    Not suggesting plod just asking for it. Warrant allows data extraction, data links to handset and if mobile device they could presumably prove the mobile was in the target area at the same time. I thought they never found the drone of interest last time, what benefit would being able to extract data have if they had no drone to download data from? 

If they had a suspect and their phone was registered in the area at the time they could use that as suspicion to see if they had a drone in the house? Presumably they would need reasonable suspicion to get hold of mobile phone movements.

If not mobile controlled then they would still need to find the drone in question and/or the handset.