Hamstead owners ?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7406
I've had mine for a little while now and declare myself beyond the honeymoon period and remain extremely impressed with mine (RT20+ combo) 

I know that Thorpy has one that he's had rehoused as a head and cab, anyone else enjoying a Hamstead? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7406
    Tumbleweed? 

Genuinely thought there would be more of these about 
    Red ones are better. 
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I bought a used head version last year, sold it pretty quickly. There are a lot of fans of them around but I’m not one of them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    markj said:
    I bought a used head version last year, sold it pretty quickly. There are a lot of fans of them around but I’m not one of them. 
    Interesting - anything in particular you found lacking ? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    edited February 2019
    I had a go on one a year ago and I have to say it didn’t wow me. I can’t explain why but it just didn’t. Unlike other amps have for me I.e. RDA Dualist, Blackcat, Lazy J etc

Im certainly not saying it’s bad though. It’s all down to personal taste isn’t it ?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I tried one and thought it very good, but they are pricey. Particularly impressed by how quiet it was.
  • Still have my Artist 20+RT, still a big fan... love it as a clean platform for a pedalboard. Super flexible and really hard to make it sound bad, from my experience.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    edited February 2019
    TimmyO said:
    markj said:

I only thought it was ok. As soon as I got it home I completely regretted it. Took me a while to sell it on with £100 loss. I bought a used Gartone Bluesman a few weeks ago, its along the same lines as a Lazy J. Its absolutely  superb. Anyway back to the Hamstead ,tone is a very subjective and personal thing and if you love it great.
    markj said:
    TimmyO said:
    markj said:

I only thought it was ok. As soon as I got it home I completely regretted it. Took me a while to sell it on with £100 loss. I bought a used Gartone Bluesman a few weeks ago, its along the same lines as a Lazy J. Its absolutely  superb. Anyway back to the Hamstead ,tone is a very subjective and personal thing and if you love it great.
    aye nobody is wrong in these things - just wondered.

For me, it's the clean sound that tickles my pickle - beautiful broad, solid authoritative clean (in a way that Fender stuff in my experience simply isn't) that has just enough top end to let you funk, but isn't cutting or thin.

then pedals on top of that for grit or lead. Perfect.

And the build is impressive too. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • One more thing - I tried the Artist 20+RT with a Rhodes piano. With a bit of grit and light tremolo, it’s magic, vastly prefer that over a Twin Reverb. I’m keen to try the 60W version to see what the extra headroom gives. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I’m not an owner but a few years ago Peter serviced one of my amps. While he was doing it I had a blast through some of his amps. The detail in the clean sound was just impossibly impeccable and the build was absolutely top notch. I’d certainly have one over any of the boutique cloney amps.

• Just sold a20rt, beatifull amp with a nice clean and reverb but it was the tremolo that did it for me, bloody lovely.
    Got a morgan pr12 now with an even better clean and a reverb to die for but i reallydo miss the rt tremolo.
    But thumbs up from me hanpstead are great amps.
  • Have the 60+RT and I love it. It's sublime clean and loud, such definition, headroom for days, nice to drop it down to 20w or 7w and crank it. Drives well, but put something like an Orange Two-Stroke, KOT or D&M drive with it and it's singing. 

Personally I find it much nicer to play with my SSS Strat's rather than anything with a humbucker. I guess it's the clarity that really appeals?

Good or bad, (probably bad) but I've managed to dial in my Origin 50 to sound pretty damn close to the Hamstead, and it takes pedals just as well. I use the Hamstead most, as I've invested in it, but if I was strapped, I'd be equally delighted to just be using the Origin 50.
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I bought an artist 60rt a couple of months ago. Got the matching 2x12 cab with it. I really am super impressed with the amp. 
    A bit of a new direction for me really as I used a badcat hotcat 30r before but had fallen out of love with it.
    I now run pedals in the hamstead set clean and haven't been happier.
    Love the clean sound of the amp. The reverb and trem are fantastic also.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    markr76 said:

Agree with this - I was a dyed-in-the-wool dirty amp type but this is just too good 
    Red ones are better. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    edited March 2019
    TimmyO said:
    markr76 said:

Agree with this - I was a dyed-in-the-wool dirty amp type but this is just too good 
    Funnily enough I’m going the other way. I don’t use dirt pedals now or to a minimum. Just use the amps dirt now. And clean up using guitar volume. Sorry just thought I’d share. Just shows how we are all different
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    TimmyO said:
    markr76 said:

Funnily enough I’m going the other way. I don’t use dirt pedals now or to a minimum. Just use the amps dirt now. And clean up using guitar volume. Sorry just thought I’d share. Just shows how we are all different
    Well that was my way all my guitar life to be honest. If I could still play venues that let me use my old 100 watt Marshalls cranked up. I'd be riding the guitars volume all day!! I'd never change.
    A good plexi style Marshall set crunchy and a klone style boost and I was happy!
    I think to my ears the 60rt has shades of a Marshall jtm45 DNA in its sound. Probably why I felt so comfortable on the amp from the off.

I do enjoy the fact I've a proper really good clean sound now and if I get bored of my drive sound I can just get a different pedal.
    One of the things I'll add also that struck me with the artist 60rt. Even when the amp is set totally clean. It has loads of that sustain that grabs every note and power. Kind of reminds me of a British version/voice of a two rock amp if that makes sense. 
    Not sure if the artist 20rt does this also. But the 60 does. It takes pedals better than any amp I've played before also.