Ibanez SA 520 - pickup mounting

derroderro Frets: 1
The pickup mounting screws on my Ibanez in one case, is starting to break through the back. ( bought used and was like this) These are a very slim body and the PUs are direct mounted on the body,  therefore there is very little wood material to screw into.
(1) Is this issue normal?
(2) How can one adjust the height of these PU's or do I just settle for the way there are?

Any comments appreciated.!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14415
    To clarify, are the pickups on your guitar suspended in mounting surrounds or held directly to the body wood by screws?

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • derroderro Frets: 1
    Hi Yes,  there is no mounting surround, the pickup is screwed directly to the body.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited February 2019
    derro said:
    The pickup mounting screws on my Ibanez in one case, is starting to break through the back. ( bought used and was like this) These are a very slim body and the PUs are direct mounted on the body,  therefore there is very little wood material to screw into.
    (1) Is this issue normal?
    (2) How can one adjust the height of these PU's or do I just settle for the way there are?

Any comments appreciated.!!

Use THIS stuff.

Other places beside Thomann sell it.
    Thomann will charge you 9€ delivery which makes it expensive on it's own.
    If you go for this, let me know and I'll split that delivery cost with you, there's a couple of cheap parts I need from them too which would cost £1 postage in the UK to send on to me when they arrive?
    Let me know...

The most likely is that the existing foam has crushed and broken down so the pickups are screwed in too far.
    Strip out the old, replace with nice new thick, springy foam and adjust to correct height.*

*Fret at your highest fret on the high and low E and measure from the underside of the string to the top of the pole piece.
    Adjust the height to whatever the manufactures spec is and then adjust to taste while plugged in and playing at reasonable volume.
  • derroderro Frets: 1
    Hi Alnico,
    Thanks for that ..... will check it out .... oh, I see..... OK.... I have  just the very same dense foam as that , so will give it a try.  Sorry I cant help you  out  with the Thomann thing!

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited February 2019
    derro said:
    Hi Alnico,
    Thanks for that ..... will check it out .... oh, I see..... OK.... I have  just the very same dense foam as that , so will give it a try.  Sorry I cant help you  out  with the Thomann thing!

Don't worry it was just a passing thought.

It sounds like new foam will make it more useable again.
    Good luck.