Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Clean Amp Suggestions Please

What's Hot
Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2193
edited February 2019 in Amps

I’m craving that big fat clean sustainy tone with plenty of headroom.

I’m probably going to try and track down a Two Rock ( ,…. really like the look of the new Studio Signature) or maybe a Super Reverb

But what else should I try?  Doesn’t need to have Reverb, fx loop or anything.    Simpler the better.   

I have owned a Morgan SW22 which was lovely, but I would rather buy something different.  I also tried a Rambler but that wasn’t quite the sound I had in my head. 

Any suggestions appreciated   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    I just received this in the post yesterday and it is quite superb

http://3rdpower.com/products/amps/wooly-coats-spanky-mkii/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    Dr. Z antidote 
    I had one for a year or so and it was glorious sounding. 
    KT66s, tube rectifier - tonally it was very similar to a JTM45 but with way more clean headroom so you could get that beautiful clean tone of the JTM at gig volumes without it breaking up and distorting into a flubby mush. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    DrZ EZG . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

You might find an Artisan A100 head going pretty cheaply. Just straight 83s and EL34 s, big traffs and a choke. The only Silicon in it is a hugely over rated bridge rect.  Virtually bomb proof, BSH build. Got a bit of NFB in it so at 12W or so out pretty "Class A hi fi".

Four input jacks so you can actually kludge effects in there.

If you want all the bells and whistles there is the HT-100 head but that is not "all valve". Equally clean and effin' loud if needs be.

Dave.

• koss59koss59 Frets: 846
    The best I’ve found so far after a few Two Rocks, Carr Rambler etc is actually a Lonestar Classic. People seem to ignore Boogie as they’re not boutique enough anymore but my god the Lonestar kills those previously mentioned amps IMO.

If I didn’t want the two channels and Fx loop though I was going to be looking at the Suhr Bella which is based off Scott Henderson’s Dumble modded Bandmaster.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5735
    Pick a lovely boutique box. Take a blindfold test against a lowly blue collar, ‘working mans’ HRD and see if you feel going over the £350 mark is worth it to you. 
  • dazzajl said:
    Pick a lovely boutique box. Take a blindfold test against a lowly blue collar, ‘working mans’ HRD and see if you feel going over the £350 mark is worth it to you. 
    I've been drooling over (and bought and sold) plenty of higher priced boutique gear, but recently moved on a few guitars and a very nice amp, and went for a Blues Jnr IV and a MIM Classic series Tele, and get a lovely clean tone at home. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    edited February 2019
    Divided by 13 - don't be put off by the wattage. Both wattages are loud and there's enough clean headroom, particularly on the 15 watt setting. As used by Rob Harris of Jamiroquai, The Edge, The Eagles & Paul McCartney's band

No reverb or fx loop but a choice of 9 watts with 6V6s or 15 watts with EL84s i.e Fender or Vox?

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/116794/divided-by-13-jrt-9-15-head-choice-of-2-heads-purple-available-only#latest

• kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    mgaw said:

I guess you wont be feeling sheepish buying that product =)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Twin Reverb.
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Hiwatt DR 504 maybe
  • Roland JC120
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    H&K Puretone
  • mgaw said:

That looks great, can you tell us more! Where are they sold in the UK?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    kreggs said:
    Hiwatt DR 405 maybe
    FTFY

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Hiwatt > everything else
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Have a chat to Chris @RiftAmps ;
  • kizzerkizzer Frets: 65
    If your looking for an old school clean amp I've got an old Yamaha G100 for sale here.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2193
    edited February 2019
    Thanks - for all the suggestions

I had forgotten about the DrZ stuff (EZG50 a definite contender) and they seem to come up fairly cheap used.

The Suhr Bella sounds interesting too. 

Or this maybe....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/173801371184

• I'll second the Mesa Lonestar suggestion - Classic or Special, depends on just how much headroom you need.