Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Musicians you like as people

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
edited February 2019 in Music
I've come to realize that I don't really like a lot of the people associated with the music business. A few exceptions are Ronnie Wood, who is always engaging, thoughtful and a good listener. Mick Jones who is really down to earth along with bassist Paul Simonon, and the drummer from New Order who seems like a nice fella whenever I have heard him speak. I believe George Michael was a top bloke too.

Most of the people who I really like as musicians always seem to rub me up the wrong way 
If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I can't claim to have met many musicians, but Mark Tremonti, Kerry King, Nicko McBrain, and the late Eric Roche all struck me as nice guys.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I guess there is often an element of needing ego or to be a twat to succeed. Certainly some of the older school musicians I've liked ( Buddy Guy for example) came up the hard way and that doesn't make them easy people. Having said that BB King always seemed to be the perfect gent and I've never heard otherwise.

James Blunt is famously funny and nice. He's an absolute top bloke. His songs are clichéd crap really, I'd like to like them but not my thing at all although I think James would appreciate a well worded difference of opinion and be okay with that. 
    Dave Wakeling of The Beat is a top interviewee, very droll but obviously concerned about other people too. Reminds me hugely of my friend Ian, sort of Ian with past fame. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    not sure I understand what the OP means by musician. On the folk scene there are quite a few who make their living from music who I've met socially, if that's what he means then there's quite a few I like, and one or two who are complete arseholes. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited February 2019
    Mick takes a trip to his local library  

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited February 2019
    I guess there is often an element of needing ego or to be a twat to succeed.
    This, and probably the fact that a lot of people enter the business because they want to be famous, and music is the vehicle. I would imagine people like this have all sorts of issues lurking underneath the surface.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9703
    edited February 2019
    I see it in the same way as me not needing to like my barber, or a waiter in a restaurant, or the postman to enjoy the results of what they do for a living.

In fact my barber is a very annoying prick but he knows how to use scissors and blades. 

I'm a huge Jack White fan but I've no doubt he would be absolute nightmsre at best in person

Edit: in fairness it's probably because I'm a nightmare to deal with, when you're cold hearted and miserable is a bit rich to expect anything different from others ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • It’s a shit business 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Obviously Dave Grohl is famously 'the Nice Guy of Rock' but you only need to watch that Foo Fighters documentary to see that he's probably a bit of a control freak and tyrant. I think he probably knows it and isn't proud of it; but I imagine is unapologetic about it too.

Still got a lot of time for him though.

I've met a number of members of Snarky Puppy on a few occasions, they've always been really nice, very down to earth. Had a Skype lesson with both Mark Lettieri and Chris McQueen; nice guys, great players.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    In every interview I've seen or read of Mark Knopfler he comes across as a nice chap.

Anyone who says "I can still remember what a Fender catalogue smells like" is worthy of honorary membership here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve met Gruff Rhys (super furries) and Martin Carr (Boo Radleys) and they’re normal, down to earth and friendly.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22742

All three members of Rush are intelligent, highly articulate and surprisingly funny, which is great because I've loved their music for 40 years.

Of course in private they may torture kittens and push old ladies into traffic, for all I know.  But they don't mention it in interviews.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve always thought Vai and Satriani have been very level headed and decent people. There’s plenty of less talented guitarists who think they are God  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    Jeff Beck
  • Ane Brun
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    edited February 2019
    Lloyd Cole was lovely..... but I was getting him to sign a CD that I’d just bought.....Yes he did have Perfect Skin....
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    edited February 2019
    I've met Guthrie Govan a few times, really nice guy, happy to chat to you like you were his mate and always amusing.

+1 on Eric Roche, met him at a guitar show, had a nice chat and got him to sign a CD.

Paul Gilbert is a good bloke, no rock star ego at all, met him about 10 years ago.

Edit: Billy Sheehan as well, very nice guy. Got a pic with him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2933
    I met Jilted John (Graham Fellows) a while back, he was alright. Does that count? He wrote one of the best albums ever released, counts to me anyway.

Steve Hillage is a lovely guy too, as are most of the Canterbury musicians I've met. 
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Ted Nugent
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I met Scott Hutchinson from Frightened Rabbit and he was absolutely lovely. Chatted away with me and Fuengi Jr about music and design, took pictures and was just generally great. Such a tragic shame he is no longer with us.

Adam Granduciel once rushed back stage at C2 Brighton and brought beers out for the audience while they were trying to sort a technical issue out. Every interview I've seen with him since confirms he isn't an arsehole. 

KT Tungatall is lovely in every respect. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuengi said:
    I met Scott Hutchinson from Frightened Rabbit and he was absolutely lovely. Chatted away with me and Fuengi Jr about music and design, took pictures and was just generally great. Such a tragic shame he is no longer with us.

Adam Granduciel once rushed back stage at C2 Brighton and brought beers out for the audience while they were trying to sort a technical issue out. Every interview I've seen with him since confirms he isn't an arsehole. 

KT Tungatall is lovely in every respect. 
    Wow, Scott. Frightened Rabbit. Owl John.

I still mourn his passing, absolutely TOP band. Lyrical genius of modern times.  <3

He is definitely in my top 2 modern songwriters, cried my eyes out when I heard the news of his passing.