Boss Nextone question

HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
Anyone know about the cabinet construction of these? Cheap like a Katana, or proper wood and Tolex like a Blues Cube?

Thanks.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1625
    edited February 2019

There is a review of it in the current, March issue of Sound on Sound. I have made some comments. You cannot see them in the mag but it does have speaker outputs but is limited to 8 Ohms min load.  I have said this seems out of step with modern sstate amp practice (you KNOW why!) and what happens in the event of a 4x12 4R cab being jacked in?

Cabinet is MDF btw.

Dave.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
    Thanks. TBH, I’m surprised that a SS state in that price bracket uses MDF. Acceptable on a Katana but pretty dubious on something twice the price. Also, I get your point about the speaker outputs. I suspect most buyers will never use them, but some could be in for a smokey shock!
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    To be fair, there are no indications as yet that Boss have actually sold very many.

Same with the Katana Artist, which is a more appealing prospect for me personally.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72239
    HAL9000 said:
    Thanks. TBH, I’m surprised that a SS state in that price bracket uses MDF. Acceptable on a Katana but pretty dubious on something twice the price.
    I'm not. It's rare to find ply in anything below a premium-price valve amp these days, and anything solid-state at any price.

There are legitimate reasons for using MDF as well as just for cost too - it produces a more neutral sound which may be thought better for a versatile modelling amp - although personally I prefer to sacrifice 'neutral' in favour of better resonance and projection in a guitar amp, which are not hi-fi anyway...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited February 2019
    ICBM said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Thanks. TBH, I’m surprised that a SS state in that price bracket uses MDF. Acceptable on a Katana but pretty dubious on something twice the price.
    I'm not. It's rare to find ply in anything below a premium-price valve amp these days, and anything solid-state at any price.

There are legitimate reasons for using MDF as well as just for cost too - it produces a more neutral sound which may be thought better for a versatile modelling amp - although personally I prefer to sacrifice 'neutral' in favour of better resonance and projection in a guitar amp, which are not hi-fi anyway...
    Agreed - which is why Vox upgraded the original 'Blue series' AD 60/120VT Valvetronix (MDF, open backed) to the AD60/120VTX version (marine birch ply, closed back), with similar construction for their AD212 and AD412 cabs.   
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1625

The MDF is mentioned, rather coyly, in the review. SoS almost never slate anything but you can tell they were not enamoured!

Dave.