Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA Digital Calipers £2.79 delivered

What's Hot

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3619
    Well, that’s it - I have a set of plastic ones. Proper vernier, not digital. A freebie from a magazine years ago. I don’t think these £2 ones would be an improvement, and I’d be better off looking at ones around £15.
    LidL and Aldi often have proper metal digital vernier calipers that are very good for around eight quid in a case. Bought a set years ago and still use them.

If you are measuring minuscule increments I wouldn't trust plastic to be honest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Did no one else read all the Amazon Q&A of people saying that it never turned up?? 
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    Trouble is that they are only one decimal place or to 1/10 of an inch
    OK for certain uses but would need that decimal place to be truly useful
    PS - I know this because I bought a couple of pairs

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    BigMonka said:
    Did no one else read all the Amazon Q&A of people saying that it never turned up?? 
    I like those odds!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Trouble is that they are only one decimal place or to 1/10 of an inch
    OK for certain uses but would need that decimal place to be truly useful
    PS - I know this because I bought a couple of pairs
    How about mms?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1238
    The biggest problem with cheap callipers, is often the internal jaws. They all use the same measuring internals, so are reasonably accurate, provided you calibrate them correctly. Calibrating the external jaws is simple, but on cheap callipers the internal jaws don't line up the same as the external jaws.

I got a cheaper than normal set from somewhere (can't remember where!), and I only realised the internal jaws didn't line up when I measured a bearing, and realised it was about a quarter millimetre of what it should be. That set quickly got chucked in the scrap. Talking to other people, they'd had the same problem, and the general consensus was buy from a respected source, not the cheapest you can find.
    You don't have to buy a known brand, as with callipers, a reasonable generic Chinese set does just as good a job as known premium brands.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    As long as it’s more accurate than me holding something in front of a ruler, closing one eye, and trying to line up both edges against the markings, then it’s £2.79 well spent.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I spent £15 on a set of calipers a few weeks ago.  Proper metal ones.  Came with a spare battery.  Probably worth the extra.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4257
    My happiness at the prospect of receiving these calipers has been completely destroyed. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    CloudNine said:
    My happiness at the prospect of receiving these calipers has been completely destroyed. 
    Are you saying you need sub-millimetre capabilities to measure your girth?
  • Gan_AinmGan_Ainm Frets: 13
    edited February 2019
    I bought one of these off eBay a while back. Mine automatically switches on with any movement of the slide, but is so sensitive that it will inadvertently switch back on, just from putting it away in a drawer, so when you next take it out to use it the battery will be flat! So probably best to remove the battery before putting it away. 
    Gan_Ainm said:
    I bought one of these off eBay a while back. Mine automatically switches on with any movement of the slide, but is so sensitive that it will inadvertently switch back on, just from putting it away in a drawer, so when you next take it out to use it the battery will be flat! So probably best to remove the battery before putting it away. 

The better ones turn themselves off after a few minutes.
  • I’ve just checked and mine does actually auto turn off after a while, so not sure why the battery went flat. Maybe, being in a drawer that is opened and closed a lot meant it was turning itself on and off quite often. 
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Working in an engineering company I wouldn't touch these with your barge pole, let alone mine.

This is the measuring equivalent of "I'm fine with this budget version of an Encore strat, I only use it occasionally so I don't need to waste my money on a fancy Squier".

Or something like that.

Look it's still early and I'd rather you not judge me.

I'm guessing it'll be accurate enough for selling guitars two or three times a year on eBay.  Plus it has an analog ruler if the digital one fails
  • how would you actually measure string height with these. I have a set of gauges ie push them under the strings . those work very well. 
    how would you actually measure string height with these. I have a set of gauges ie push them under the strings . those work very well. 
    More neck thickness I'd say, 1st and 12th.  I am particularly nerdy about this
    roberty said:
    how would you actually measure string height with these. I have a set of gauges ie push them under the strings . those work very well. 

I bought mine to measure neck thickness.  I'm going on a Crimson guitar building course soon, and I wanted to take some measurements of my favourite necks.

Now I've got them though, I'm finding all kinds of uses for them.

crunchman said:
    roberty said:

I bought mine to measure neck thickness.  I'm going on a Crimson guitar building course soon, and I wanted to take some measurements of my favourite necks.

Now I've got them though, I'm finding all kinds of uses for them.

Too much information...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:
    Wis’d. You and me both. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/