Fender Hotrod dlx Reverb Mod ( Update )

What's Hot
wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 256
edited March 2019 in Amps
While I have the back off to reset voltage to 240V ( thanks to ICBM ) has anyone else tried the reverb mod shown in the link below, seems easy enough to carry out (just clipping out a resistor). Is it as good a result as claimed ?
This mod does NOT work with other amps like the Blues Deluxe ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• here's another link to a youtube video on this
    6:33Fender Hot Rod Deville Mod
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Are you modding because you can or because you have a problem you'd like to resolve?
    I've not done it because mostly I use the HRD live and don't 5hink it an issue. YMMV. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    ESBlonde said:
    Are you modding because you can or because you have a problem you'd like to resolve?
    I've not done it because mostly I use the HRD live and don't 5hink it an issue. YMMV. 
    I like reverb, and I think it's an issue - there's just too much reverb in the first half of the dial and then not that much more above that - although it's still possible to set it how I want, it's unnecessary and stupid when it's caused by *adding* components that don't need to be there.

The reverb on the Traynor YCV20 and the output level control on the Mesa DC series are other examples of the same problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• A couple of friends have the Blues versions & the reverbs sounds fuller & less harsh than on my Hotrod.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    A couple of friends have the Blues versions & the reverbs sounds fuller & less harsh than on my Hotrod.
    I agree - I have a blues delux RI, and was originally going to buy the Hot Rod, but when I heard the reverb on the BDRI I changed my mind and bought that instead. Much smoother and better toned.
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 256
    Just reset voltage to 240v, one thing that surprised me was the amp has a sticker clearly visible on the back that it was serviced just over a year ago, isn't a voltage check/reset something that would be done as part of a service ? Also carried out the reverb "snip", all I can say is it works for me, as they say it's not an earth shattering change but it's enough.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    edited March 2019
    Just reset voltage to 240v, one thing that surprised me was the amp has a sticker clearly visible on the back that it was serviced just over a year ago, isn't a voltage check/reset something that would be done as part of a service ?
    Legally, 230V is the 'correct' setting because it's what the EU regulations require - so a tech has no duty to change it, as that's how it's supplied by Fender in compliance with the supposed 230V that the UK operates at.

The issue is that 230V is a Euro-fudge which doesn't really exist, and the UK's mains voltage is still really 240V, so setting the amp to 240V makes it run closer to the original internal design voltages - cooler, and more reliable.

This matters more on the Deville where the internal voltages are higher, but it's still worth doing on the Deluxe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom