Recording novice - advice..

What's Hot
GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3534
edited February 2019 in Studio & Recording
Need to move beyond using just my phone mic.  .  Whichever way I jump, it means new gear, as my laptop is eight years old and slow. So - laptop, interface and DAW or hardware recorder?And if laptop, what spec/price point should I budget for? (And cost is, sadly, an issue.) 

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    I can't offer broad advice as I'm a beginner myself, but Reaper seems to be the way forward as a DAW.

Cheap, and fully featured. Since being made aware of it, I've seen a surprising amount of pros and semi pros using it and my experience is positive.

I'm impressed with my Audient interface and their range is supposedly quality from top to bottom. It all depends how many and what types of ins and outs you want. That being said, audient is all I have experience with. I also considered the Steinberg UR44, there being a UR22 as well.

Do you want to record Direct using a tap from the amp via speaker jack and into software impulse responses, or using a Mic and XLR cable into the interface?

If the second option, the Shure SM57 seems to be the standard.

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3534
    Undecided about input yet. Have attained reasonable quality sound at low volume with Blues Cube, but DI might be the way. 

https://m.soundcloud.com/paul-conway-6/paul-conway-deep-thing-m4a

• What are you planning to record (ie/ what instruments, and how many simultanesouly?).

Assuming single track at a time, guitar / bass /vocals and drums in the box then I would prob not go for an SM57 as suggested above but instead look at an entry level condesnor as will give you more flexibility for recording acoustics etc.

Interfacewise Ive been pretty happy with focusrite who definitely have offering sin the budget range.

Oh yeah and a big +1 on reaper.

Do you really need the new laptop right away? A windows reinstall and new interface might get you started for less outlay then you can update the laptop at a later date?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    If it's just a simple recording of a band rehearsal we use a Tascam digital recorder. Great piece of kit for around £100.00.
  • Tascam Dr-40

4 track recorder. Records track 1+2,overdub 3+4. No latency. Take the tracks into laptop to mix.

You won't, of course. :) You'll be seduced by "audio interface. Surely that will be the best ?"

And in a few months i will say "told ya so!"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3534
    What are you planning to record (ie/ what instruments, and how many simultanesouly?).

Assuming single track at a time, guitar / bass /vocals and drums in the box then I would prob not go for an SM57 as suggested above but instead look at an entry level condesnor as will give you more flexibility for recording acoustics etc.

Interfacewise Ive been pretty happy with focusrite who definitely have offering sin the budget range.

Oh yeah and a big +1 on reaper.

Do you really need the new laptop right away? A windows reinstall and new interface might get you started for less outlay then you can update the laptop at a later date?
    Demos. Electric guitar, vox, bass, programmed drums...that kind of thing