Where to get 3-4mm cheap wood for a top?

What's Hot
I have this poor 7 string body that I want to use. It's had various routs filled, but they have cracked up. I thought I'd try and get some cheap wood and 'cap' the top and bottom - but only if I can do it cheaply. Any idea where could one get some cheap wood that would suffice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8685
    Is it a flat surface, or does it have rounded edges and/or a forearm chamfer?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    Try somewhere that does fitted kitchen supplies and things like that, and get some 'facing' ply - it usually available in various good-quality woods. Then bind the edges so the plies don't show.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Roland said:
    Is it a flat surface, or does it have rounded edges and/or a forearm chamfer?
    I was thinking I'd sort the roundover etc once it's glued on

ICBM said:
    Try somewhere that does fitted kitchen supplies and things like that, and get some 'facing' ply - it usually available in various good-quality woods. Then bind the edges so the plies don't show.
    Interesting thought, I'll see if I can find anywhere, although I've never done binding and have no tools for it
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8685
    Preferring wood grain to paint I’d think about routing out any existing cracked filler, filling the resultant cavity with solid wood, and veneering over the top. You’ll need to bind the body to hide the edge of the veneer.
    axisus said:  I've never done binding and have no tools for it
    All you need is the right router bit. This has a collar which is slightly smaller radius than the cutter, so that it cuts a shallow channel. A hair dryer helps to soften the binding so that it bends more easily. You can stick the plastic binding on with plastic cement, and hold it in place with masking tape.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.