Dream Theater – Distance Over Time

What's Hot
beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
It's absolutely cack. Don't listen to it.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Never knew an album was out. Reviews seem ok. Hmm!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    edited February 2019
    Never knew an album was out. Reviews seem ok. Hmm!
    The reviews are overhyped. There’s nothing about the album whatsoever. Honestly, they’ve not released a good album since Octavarium.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought even that was pants. 
    Oh well, thanks for the heads up!
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited February 2019
    I thought even that was pants. 
    Some amazing songs on octavarium!

beed84 said:

Ordered it a few days ago :(
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    They’ll never ever top Scenes from a Memory for me, no matter how hard they try. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:

beed84 said:

it's alright actually. It's loads better than the Astonishing. I didn't even finish listening to that one, I got really bored and just left it. Still got it somewhere. I'm not a huge DT fan but this one has some decent riffs on it. I only ever got into them because of 'Another Day' off Images and Words, which was pretty much a ballady pop song & fairly unrepresentative of the rest of their stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Haven't heard it yet but I'm told it's a grower. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    viz said:

beed84 said:

Why worry about a single forum member's uninformative 'review'. Most people online seem to like it and think it is a return to form.

I was a MASSIVE fan up to Octavarium but I couldn't get into anything they did after that. I didn't bother with the Astonishing, double album of concept widdly just didn't appeal to me these days. I 'might' buy this if I see it somewhere and I'm in the mood, but there are so few record shops these days.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    I really like it, it's tight, riffy and rocky ... much more straight forward than a lot of their stuff though.
    But yeah listened to it a few times since it came out and I love from start until the ... well not the end, until Vyper King starts ...
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    axisus said:
    viz said:

beed84 said:

Why worry about a single forum member's uninformative 'review'. Most people online seem to like it and think it is a return to form.

I was a MASSIVE fan up to Octavarium but I couldn't get into anything they did after that. I didn't bother with the Astonishing, double album of concept widdly just didn't appeal to me these days. I 'might' buy this if I see it somewhere and I'm in the mood, but there are so few record shops these days.
    Oh no, it wasn't a review. It was more of an emotional response – I really won't judge anyone who happens to like it. However, as far as I'm concerned, a return to form for me would be Scenes From A Memory; Distance Over Time doesn't come close to that IMHO.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    I listened to Scenes again today, for the first time in ages, off the back of this thread. Fucking hell its so good. 

I’ll give the new one a spin tomorrow I think
  • I  bought an album of theirs about ten years ago and couldn’t get into it. Been giving the new album a try. Either thye’ve changed or my taste has changed, I like it a lot. Some great riffs, proggy moments and incredible solos. Vocals perhaps not so great......The production is amazing. You can hear everything so clearly and there is some serious studio trickery and effects going on. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    I bought Awake once. Sold it. Years later bought it. Sold it. Finally I "got it" third time round. 
    Vocals are definitely very "clean" on DT records (I do prefer a gritty voice!)
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited March 2019
    I bought Awake once. Sold it. Years later bought it. Sold it. Finally I "got it" third time round. 
    Vocals are definitely very "clean" on DT records (I do prefer a gritty voice!)
    I love Awake. 

beed84 said:
    axisus said:
    viz said:

beed84 said:

Ordered it a few days ago

Oh no, it wasn't a review. It was more of an emotional response – I really won't judge anyone who happens to like it. However, as far as I'm concerned, a return to form for me would be Scenes From A Memory; Distance Over Time doesn't come close to that IMHO.

Lovely magenta purple vinyl copy has arrived but my record player needle’s being serviced. However it came with a free cd! So giving it a spin - it’s ok. Hope it’s a grower because it’s a teeny bit underwhelming so far, to my ear. Musically that is. The playing’s extraordinary as always. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    I also love it now 8)