Do you have or have had a Tom Anderson Atom Special - neck shim and string height question

maxdmaxd Frets: 43
Hello

I'm thinking of buying a secondhand Tom Anderson Atom Special but I've noticed that the neck has a full length shim, factory installed as far as I can tell.  It means that there's a small gap between the edge of the fretboard and the body and it's necessary to get anything like a normal to low action (5/64ths at the 12th fret on the bass E). 

This seems really odd that a maker with such a reputation for high quality wouldn't cut the neck pocket correctly in the first place.

So, the question is: did your Atom Special have a shim, and do you have any opinion about this?

Thanks, Max
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• allenallen Frets: 706
    You can email them. Sometimes the man himself replies. He can be a bit curt, but I think he tries to be helpful. Probably even better if you have the serial number and/or a photo.

• maxdmaxd Frets: 43
    Thanks for replying. In fact i phoned them and spoke to a certain Tom. He told me tney never use shims... and then asked what it was made from!?!
    When I told him he changed his mind and said they did! So, still begs the question about why the pocket wasn't cut correctly in the first place. Sounds great though.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16080
    So why worry .....they are quite an unusual guitar and quite interesting although never been a huge seller.