Chibson ES-335 Modding Blogumentary

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16661

I had the old style of freeway switch which was unreliable - you certainly couldn;t rely on it for quick switching

Not tried the new version,  but I wish it had proper sturdy solder tags on it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    is it still a chibson or chrigger's broom? ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Trigger's Chroom!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4131
    :D Well there shouldn't be too many mods left to go, the only original bits of hardware left are;
    • The nut (bone, incidentally)
    • The Trapeze mount (for now)
    • Pickup rings
    • Strap buttons (nicely oversized)
    • TOM bushings
    I've asked Mojo to make the 'Trons with his solderless connectors (and send some spares) given that I'm planning to swapping back & forth between those and the 59/09s fairly regularly. I know that not everyone's a fan of them but they shouldn't be an issue for my needs at least. :)

@ICBM I wasn't sure if it was possible with these, I've got one of the old-style PRS rotary switches lying in my parts drawer but I can't see me using that here, those 2/3/4 sounds on it are great though, with the right guitar & pickups. :)

Thanks for the feedback on the Freeway's, reliability was one of my concerns so I'll probably skip it entirely as split tones don't feel "right" on an ES somehow. Besides, it's hardly going to sound like a tele! If I do stick with the 59/09s in the long run, then I'll probably just add 1 or 2 push-push tone pots and go for simple splits. 

I really fancy ordering another (normal) ES from them though, but pretty much in kit form so that I can do the binding properly and finish it off in a decent nitro. Even with the few niggles here & there, and the shoddy stock tuners I don't feel at all "ripped off" in any way and can honestly say that this is in the top 3 guitars I've owned for it's sheer enjoyment factor - the mods have added to that too, which is nice. Also helps that it sounds pretty damn good if I say so myself, I'll have to bring it along to one of the London/SE meetups once I'm up that way and see what the rest of you think. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    You can do simple splits with the tone pots, without needing push-pulls. Just connect the coil-split wires to the unused terminals. That gives single coil at 10, humbucker at 8 and normal tone below that. You can also get partially-split tones between 8 and 10 if you want.

With normal 'Gibson' humbucker construction that will split to the inner (plain pole) coils, which is the same as position 7 on a PRS rotary if it matters!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nice reminder - I saw that mentioned on here recently but haven't tried it yet!

GAS got the better of me earlier though once the Mojo'trons arrived and I installed them straight away. I'm very happy with the result, and they don't look as alien as I feared either! The 59/09's arrived a couple of days ago, but I'm not sure they're going to get much use after all, hmm...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
    edited June 2014
    Nice, how do they sound clean with a bit of reverb ?
    :)
    Like a choir of angels :D
    Had a bit of time on my hands this evening so I made a mockup for the label. Not sure if I'll go through with it - can't quite figure out a decent way to get it stuck in there without making a mess, but...;

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    'fualty' Is that a freudian slip :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nope, it's intentionally ironic ;)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Nice touch. Like it!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

edited July 2014
    Quick update:

I recently moved to London and the guitar has gone from a pretty stable environment, to one that fluctuates from about 20c-30c daily here in the new flat. The neck had moved a little bit for the first few days but after a simple truss adjustment and a tweak of the bridge height it's as good as ever.

I'm still totally besotted with it, three months after receipt, and I'm at the point where I don't feel like anything else really needs to be changed. The Mojo'Trons capture exactly the detail & response I was looking for without really losing any of the warmth that you get from this type of guitar.

I still need to add the orange label, and also work on the tailpiece block (& inlay) as a finishing touch, but damn do I love this guitar. B-)
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1204

I still need to add the orange label, and also work on the tailpiece block & inlay as a finishing touch, but damn do I love this guitar. B-)
    Have done the logo in the proper typeface, if that helps....
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2014
    Thanks but I'm not changing the headstock inlay unless I end up redoing the whole headstock. It's just not worth the hassle tbh, and the guitar really isn't going anywhere. :)

The inlay I was referring to will be going on the tailpiece block rather than a plastic plaque.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1204
    It was for the orange label.
    Ah I see! Fair point! :D
    Necro-bump!

It's been a while since I've changed anything on this except strings. Today though, I thought I'd see if some spare parts that I have lying around would work on the Trini.

The Hipshot tuners that I installed have been great since day one, I can't fault their feel or precision, but I'm still not sold on the button shape. I had a set of PRS Phase II tuners sitting here with ivoroid buttons so I thought I'd try them out and see how it looked. I definitely prefer the shape, and I'm not completely against the colour either! I changed the switch-tip back to a cream one too just to fit in with the colour scheme a little better.

I still need to get around to making the orange label and the inlaid trapeze block, but apart from that there's nothing else really that I want to change. The Mojo'Trons are superb and full of character, I'm tempted to put some humbuckers back in for a while though just for a change of pace again.

Before & after:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi Guitargeek62, are you planning on custom making the rosewood insert badge at the trapeze?
  • Basher said:

I still need to add the orange label, and also work on the tailpiece block & inlay as a finishing touch, but damn do I love this guitar. B-)
    Have done the logo in the proper typeface, if that helps...image
    Can I 'borrow' that for my Les Dennis kit reboot, please?
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.