Andy Anderson RIP

blobbblobb Frets: 2914

Not a guitar player but wot a drummer! Sadly, Andy Anderson has left the building RIP.  Lovely bloke.

------------------------

Anderson worked on Hawkwind's Nik Turner's Sphynx's Xitintoday album in 1978. He played with Steve Hillage on two albums, Live Herald and Open, and had a brief stint in Hawkwind in 1983, but did not record with them. His tenure in that group was cut short when he played with The Glove on their first and only album Blue Sunshine.

He later joined The Cure as their drummer in 1983, after drummer Lol Tolhurst switched to keyboard duties. Anderson recorded on the albums Japanese Whispers, The Top, and Concert in addition to the singles Love Cats and The Caterpillar. Anderson was, and still is, the only member of The Cure of African descent.

Throughout the years, Andy Anderson has collaborated with a number of artists, including Iggy Pop, Jimmy Somerville, M, Jimmy Pursey's Sham 69, Harry Williamson and Friends, The Glove, Sex Pistols' Glen Matlock, Brilliant, Martin Glover, The Gun Club's Jeffrey Lee Pierce, the Steve Hillage Band, Circus Hazzard, Steve New, Edwyn Collins, The Burning Sensations, Jason Donovan, David Michael Phillips, Hooky Dallion Nik Turner's Sphynx & Inner City Unit, Mick Hawksworth and Friends, Zeke Manyika's Dr. Love, The Edgar Broughton Band, Lol Tolhurst's Levinhurst, Peter Gabriel, Midge Ure, Isaac Hayes, The Last Poets and Mike Oldfield.

Anderson works as a session musician/producer of TV commercials and record companies as well as various artists and charities.

Anderson posted newly recorded solo tracks on YouTube as Front & Centre.

Anderson was diagnosed with terminal cancer in February 2019 as announced on his Facebook page

-----------------------

So many examples of Andy's brilliance, share yours, I'll go for this:

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Aw, fuck. I loved his drumming on the Glove album, as well as with the Cure. He certainly had a varied career!
    RIP Andy.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18381
    Random information collision revelation.
    I was looking for some info on Steve Hillage & came across "The Glove" reference.
    Love the'Blue Sunshine' album, so very sorry to hear about Andy. 
    Respect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom