Musicians autobiography recommendations?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
I've recently read the Slash and Eric Clapton autobiographies and they were great. Have any of you fine people got any recommendations for other musicians autobiographies? It doesn't have to be guitarists just musicians as a whole. Thank you.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9654
    Roger Daltrey
    Johnny Marr
    Buddy Guy

...are all excellent reads.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Image result for the real frank zappa book
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33780
    Image result for the real frank zappa book
    This is one of my top 3 books- not just muso biographies, of anything I have ever read.
    It is brilliant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    Anthony Kiedis - Scar Tissue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• I went on a bit of an autobiography binge recently so here are my recommendations...

Andy Summers book is one of the best I've ever read, and not just for fans of The Police, he's a really good writer. 

Stewart Copeland's book is as manic as you'd expect, there's about a page and a half on The Police and then he goes veering off on some other mad tangent!

Bad Vibes by Luke Haines is quite good from a pre-Britpop perspective but he does come across as a total knob.

The Gospel According to Luke from Steve Lukather is sweary and excellent.

Outside the Jukebox by Scott Bradlee give a good account of what it's like to make a career out of being an excellent musician with a novel idea and by being very social media savvy.

From the other side of the desk...

Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust by Ken Scott is good if a bit dry but it's funny to hear how his wife evidentally was a bit of a radge who wound people up. Lot's of lovely stories about George Harrison.

Are we still rolling? by Phil Brown is a lot more colourful and chemically altered than Ken Scott's book and features Talk Talk and Mark Hollis alot. It made me listen to and appreciate Robert Palmer beyond "Addicted to Love".
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    The miles davis one pissed me off, he comes across like a right prick. 
    I found the Keith Richards one to much into the drugs side of things. The zappa one is ace. I enjoyed the Michael caine one and the Bob Dylan chronicles.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Mark Everetts autobiography is heart breaking. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2284
    Tony Visconti - Bowie, Bolan and the Brooklyn Boy
    Brian Eno - A Year With Swollen Appendices

I realise there is a bit of a Bowie slant there...

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thank you for the suggestions so far, I've ordered the Keith Richards and Frank Zappa books. That's the one good thing about eBay, you can pick books up cheap as chips!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11285
    Allof Deke Leonard's books about his time in Man, Iceberg and the rest.

The man can write.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    An autobiography about musicians rather than by a musician, but would really, really recommend White Bicycles by producer Joe Boyd. Insightful stories of Nick Drake, Dylan, Aretha, Fairport, Floyd, Muddy Waters and loads more. 
  • The Best Seat in the House - Jerry Shirley, Humble Pie

• Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run, an excelent read particularly as it covers his bouts of depression in a very open way.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24256
    I've had Rod Stewart's book recommended to me by our drummer.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • I enjoyed the Ozzy one!
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    Nikki Sixx - A Year In The Life of a Heorin Addict
    Ozzy Osbourne's  but I can't remember the title. Very, very funny.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72211
    edited February 2019
    John Taylor (Duran Duran) - In The Pleasure Groove. Well worth reading even if you don't like/can't stand Duran Duran - it's a great story about someone driven to succeed who ended up battling the other things that come with success, including drugs - and his eventual recovery.

I'm currently reading Mark Kermode's (the TV film pundit) How Does It Feel? which is about his varied musical adventures. I didn't know anything about that before I started, but it explains the way he dresses, and it's not a reference to 50s cinema staff... or only accidentally!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    edited February 2019
    The Real frank Zappa book is just so good.

...but if you want a hardcore Zappa biography have a go at Neil Slaven's Electric Don Quixote.

Can also second Deke Leonard's books, if you can find them. Actually anything written by him is brilliant. He used to review new releases for a magazine, hilarious.

The holy grail for me are the Gong Dreaming books by Daevid Allen, but so hard to find copies.

Out-Bloody-Rageous (Graham Bennett) - how Soft Machine shaped psychedelic rock

Different Every Time: Robert Wyatt Biography (Marcus O'Dair) - This was released with two companion records, so you listen as you read. One of our greatest musical icons, the whole Rock Bottom thing is so powerful.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 979
    I enjoyed "bit of a blur" by Alex James.  
  • Nick Mason's book "Inside Out" is good (and very funny)