Rob Chapman working with Thomann now?

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I don't begrudge him, I just simply don't understand. Listen to the recent Andertons High Gain pedal vid, then listen to Jack's recent 80's Shred vid for Peach - I don't understand why there are 50 x more subscribers for something inferior.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2867
    Chapman haters make me giggle.... Jealous fucks :) 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26458
    edited February 2019
    dindude said:
    I don't begrudge him, I just simply don't understand. Listen to the recent Andertons High Gain pedal vid, then listen to Jack's recent 80's Shred vid for Peach - I don't understand why there are 50 x more subscribers for something inferior.
    It's precisely the same reason that many guitarists don't understand why Ed Sheeran's incredibly popular and Guthrie's biggest success to date is being a side-man for someone else.

Entertainment is more important than supreme talent - especially on a platform like YouTube. There, you have to be competent-to-good, but have a very good idea of your target demographic and how to play to their preferences, and have a very good business sense. Being the greatest guitarist is irrelevant in that context (Rob even says that while his success is built on being a guitarist, he's not even the best guitarist in his own band - either of them).

Basically...being a great guitarist gets somebody to marvel at your talent for 30 seconds and move on. Being consistently entertaining gets them to subscribe and grows your audience.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    this is all a bit similar to the early celebrity chefs v real chefs.....the Ainsley Harriots compared to the Marco Pierre White in is prime....two very different animals, one an atrocious cook who entertained the less discerning very well albeit in a puerile and low brow fashion. The other a world class operator, both artistically and technically brilliant
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    blueskunk said:

Too right!
    I'd love to look like him and have his wonderful sense of humour.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    blueskunk said:
    Definitely. And I’m definitely not jealous of Jack at Peach who is younger, better looking, plays like a god, and isn’t an utter tool.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I don’t mind Rob at all....unless he starts singing, then I fucking hate the fella  ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I hadn't intended to start yet another 'Chappers is XYZ/he's ABC vs you're jealous' thread. 

Apologies for that. Perhaps it's some form of right of passage in this place.

For the record, I enjoy the chappers and the captain vids, especially the blindfold ones. I think the guys have a good rapport. All the best to them I say.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • terada said:
    I hadn't intended to start yet another 'Chappers is XYZ/he's ABC vs you're jealous' thread. 

For the record, I enjoy the chappers and the captain vids, especially the blindfold ones. I think the guys have a good rapport. All the best to them I say.
    You've started to tell fibs now....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    terada said:

Annoyingly, that’s 90% of the conversation. When you mention his name here, the usual crap starts. 

We get it ffs. 

I dont have an issue with him at all. He can do videos where he wants and for who he wants. I occasionally watch the blindfold challenges for a bit of light hearted viewing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK OF ROB CHAPMAN!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    [modmin hat adorned]

The irony of the “Rob Chapman Rule” being stated in a thread about Rob Chapman is not lost on me. 

Play the ball not the man...

Consider this fair warning to all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And for those not used to a wordy type of warning:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

I have a Victory Silverback Amp to list in the classifieds. If you’re free in an hour you can pop in there and see how the conversation is going ;)
    lonestar said:

I have a Victory Silverback Amp to list in the classifieds. If you’re free in an hour you can pop in there and see how the conversation is going ;)

;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I don't understand this Rob Chapman rule.
    If someone puts themselves out there as much as he does, he's bound to attract detractors as well as devotees.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    [modmin hat adorned]

The irony of the “Rob Chapman Rule” being stated in a thread about Rob Chapman is not lost on me. 

Thanks for this @Bridgehouse. Much appreciated.  :)

I would have thought that having spent so long cultivating an enormous subscription base through that 'top gear with guitars' style USP, they'd have had a tight control on them giving that recipe to competitors.

I know that there is a certain incestuous nature of youtube guitar faces, and especially between TPS/andertons/spender/robs own channel etc etc, but I'd not seen collaboration with a key competitive retailer. 

As for the brand promotion aspect, yes I'd expect it across as many channels as possible, but I'd also expect more of a brand focus piece than a shootout type that is Andertons' bread and butter.

As such it just seemed so similar to the Andertons content, using Andertons 'talent', but from a direct competitor.

Hence the thread. Any thoughts?

Sassafras said:
    If someone puts themselves out there as much as he does, he's bound to attract detractors as well as devotees.
    Go look at any thread about any other guitarist being discussed at the moment - just like the Mark Knopfler thread. 

The conversation is about his material, his music etc. The Rob Chapman Rule is to prevent the descent into personal (insulting) comments about the man himself, which are just unnecessary about any artist when discussing their output.
    tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:
    Yes, but it’s the most boring shit in the world to read time after time. He exists, he’s a guitarist, he’s on YouTube, he makes a living from being a guitarist on YouTube.

Get over it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    terada said:
    [modmin hat adorned]

Thanks for this @Bridgehouse. Much appreciated.  :)

I would have thought that having spent so long cultivating an enormous subscription base through that 'top gear with guitars' style USP, they'd have had a tight control on them giving that recipe to competitors.

I know that there is a certain incestuous nature of youtube guitar faces, and especially between TPS/andertons/spender/robs own channel etc etc, but I'd not seen collaboration with a key competitive retailer. 

As for the brand promotion aspect, yes I'd expect it across as many channels as possible, but I'd also expect more of a brand focus piece than a shootout type that is Andertons' bread and butter.

As such it just seemed so similar to the Andertons content, using Andertons 'talent', but from a direct competitor.

Hence the thread. Any thoughts?

See, that’s playing the ball. Commenting on his appearance and other unnecessary stuff is playing the man.