Routing a tele for bridge humbucker, which bridge would be best?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
edited February 2019 in Making & Modding
Hi all. A query I have on a humbucker in a tele body. Options I have at the moment would be to get a tele body built with a humbucker routed, or pick up a tele body and get it routed.

My plan is to put a humbucker sized p90 in it, and just that. However I'm not sure what bridge would work best.

My original plan was to look at http://www.warmoth.com/Gotoh-Humbucker-Tele-Bridge-Chrome-P604C709.aspx

However, I've read that there could be issues with spacing etc here? I would have thought not?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    If it's just for the P90 tone, the dimensions of a Tele bridge pickup make them ideal for making P90 toned Tele bridge pickups, more so than humbuckers. That would save a lot of headache.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    edited February 2019
    Alegree said:
    If it's just for the P90 tone, the dimensions of a Tele bridge pickup make them ideal for making P90 toned Tele bridge pickups, more so than humbuckers. That would save a lot of headache.
    Yep, essentially, I'd be tipping my hat to a junior style guitar, and have a nice oil city p90 humbucker sitting around at home....

I never realised you could get tele sized P90 pickups..... Might be the easiest option....
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 760
    edited March 2019
    If the Tele body will take a vintage Tele ashtray bridge, then the Gotoh gtc301 humbucker bridge will fit the mounting screws, will line-up with the string through holes and will intonate correctly. Some Squires with 3 or 5 screw bridges, some far east copies, and Fender American Standards and derivatives (deluxe pro, elite et al) with 3 screw mount bridges would be problematic, and should be avoided.

Mexican Standards and current Mexican Player series have a flat plate bridge which looks modern, but retro fits the ashtray bridge, so they are fine ( c.f. Gotoh gtc201 and 202). Mexican Classic series, Baja's also okay, plus American vintage types (AVRI, American Original etc). Original Squier 50's and 60's CV Tele also okay ( not yet seen any of new ones released at NAMM so can't comment on them). Highway one and American Special are also okay as these also use a vintage style bridge.

Consider that the rout for a humbucker is relatively easy to do, but not readily reversible. The width of the rout is such that if you want to go back to a single coil bridge (flat plate or ashtray style) you cannot - the humbucker rout will show beyond the perimeter of the bridge. Once routes for a humbucker there is no return

On a related note, no-ears mount Filtertron/TV Jones are not as wide as an ashtray bridge. So for example, it is possible to use a TV Jones Savalas bridge in a Tele, rout carefully, and install TV Jones Classics. If at a later date you want to return the guitar to stock it can be done as the TVJ rout will be hidden by an ashtray bridge. Note that TVJ and Gretsch Filtertrons are slightly different sizes, and whilst both are narrower than an ashtray bridge, only the TVJ pickups will fit through the cutout in a Savalas bridge i.e. TVJ bridge requires TVJ pickups, or others that are TVJ sized (e.g. Mojo make them in both dimensions). Anyway, if you like any of the TVJ pickup offerings, that might be a possible route to take.

Edit: for the Gotoh gtc301 you will likely have to rout the pickguard to fit around the bridge, given the width of the bridge. Another relatively easy job, but something else to consider.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @CasperCaster wow, thanks for the detailed reply. I would never have taken much of those points into consideration, with screw spacing etc. Food for thought. hmmmm.....
    It's going to be a frankencaster anyhow, as I'm planning on sticking a spare strat neck on the body :) and only having a volume knob.
    Why not just use a tele and not use the neck pickup I hear you say! 
    Now, tele sized p90s.....

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited March 2019
    Creamery do an epic Tele bridge size P90 pickup...that would be the easiest option, save the HB Size P90 for another project
    or
    How about a Wilkinson half bridge, rout the HB size rout and direct mont the pickup to the body? Nice n ratty!
    Edit...I have the parts, I'm going to do it myself! (The body is already routed for humbuckers though!)
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 760
    edited March 2019
    I sold my '97 Fender California Series Tele a couple of years ago. When it sold it had a humbucker sized P90 in the bridge and two Strat single coils, but had previously had a humbucker sized P90 in the neck. The bridge was the Gotoh gtc301. I also widened the control cavity by about 2mm in the area of the switch (still hidden by the control plate) then further rebated that area to make space for a 5-way superswitch.

Modded California Series Tele
    https://imgur.com/a/EMpiR
    https://imgur.com/a/XlBii
    https://imgur.com/BRXvHJJ
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    get a tele body built with a humbucker routed
    This is the obvious solution to the cavity aspect. 

If the body has a humbucker rout from the very beginning, you have some freedom over what sort of bridge and string hole drilling pattern to adopt.

A hardtail Stratocaster style bridge should suffice. Wilkinson (and others) make a shortened version of the vintage, stamped steel Telecaster bridge. 
    Be seeing you.
    Yep but they’re not that easy to come by. I could get one custom made I suppose but it’s not like it’s going to be my main guitar. Just something fun.
  • Is a Tele Deluxe style build out of the question? There always seem to be Squier bodies available if you don't mind the look.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960

I never realised you could get tele sized P90 pickups..... Might be the easiest option....
    Easiest and by far the best.

https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/custom-p90-for-telecaster-bridge.html

Not cheap, but probably cheaper than a HB-size P90 and having a body routed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

@ICBM that’s what I was thinking . When I take into account the cost of routing ....

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    I said the same several posts ago, the Creamery pickup is very good!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yep , just need to track a body down now. Going to commit a sin and stick a spare strat neck on a tele body :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    paulnb57 said:
    I said the same several posts ago
    Sorry, missed that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Yep , just need to track a body down now. Going to commit a sin and stick a spare strat neck on a tele body :)
    I presume you're aware of the gap that'll exist at the body joint because of the different styles? It'll be covered by a scratchplate anyway, so it's not really a problem.
    @victorludorum yep, it’s a 22 feet neck so I think the hangover from the neck should cover the gap?