Other Hobbies - do you spend as much as on guitar gear

What's Hot

Comments

• steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    I've spent a lot more on my hifi than I have on guitar stuff.  My collection of mostly 70s vinyl records are a delight to listen to.  CDs should be better, but the technology wasn't used to full advantage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Motorbikes.

I probably spend more on them than on guitar gear these days..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Hard to work out cost as buying guitars and stuff has been spread out over 25 yrs, and it’s not always ‘lost’ money as stuff I don’t play I’ve moved on. 

hifi, not bought anything for ten years, turntable shopping demo booked at 9:30 this morning, serious £ involved. Unlike guitars get anything wrong and that is much bigger financial loss.

scalectrix.... Er yes. Family thing but really I get more enjoyment than anyone. Cars are £45, digital chip £15, so £60 a go for a new car. I think that’s an pricey hobby. Still cheaper than racing cars for real
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Due to where i live, skiing, snowboarding and mountainbiking are my main hobies

mountainbiking is gloriously expensive, just a continuous flow perishable parts replacements, then there is equipment upgrades.... 

Skiing is not so bad. I service the gear myself. Yearly pass (summer and winter) for my area is 400 gbp or so. My board and skis are 10 years old. Boots 5.so thats about 100 gbp a year..

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    My main things are guitar, photography/video and mountain biking. So all pretty much a money drain but guitar is actually the cheapest in comparison. I learnt how to snowboard but didn't have the time or money to keep going.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    edited March 2019
    I used to waste money on hifi - then I bought active speakers and have never looked back

Cycling however has been another story chasing speed can get expensive. I semi cured myself of that by crashing badly and deciding to race time trails on a fixed geared bike (yet another purchase of course). Having done it my cycling gas ebb'd away. I even sold two of my bikes now I focus on training and learning to just suffer more
  • My other thing is climbing and mountaineering. Kit can be expensive but is durable and I get years of use out of it. I never waste hours dreaming of a new rope or ice axe in the same way I might a Strat or Les Paul but have whiled away many an hour out of season looking over maps and guidebooks and thinking about routes. It's the travel to the mountains that jacks up the cost.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Studio gear and synths mostly at the moment.
    I've had a few motorcycles and a couple of fast cars but can't do that in Singapore.
    We are doing a lot of travel at the moment- there is a lot in Asia I still have not seen.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    I do have other hobbies but am not as obsessed. My walking gear is 10 years old and I'm replacing the worn out stuff. My bike is probably 5 years old and cost 400 quid.

I played fallout 3 for 10 years and  last year I got a console and fallout 4. I don't know the names of the console's they are x boxes of some form a black one and two white ones.most of my games were presents. 

Most of my disposable income goes on guitar gear.I know when I got each item, the name, version, cost,chip type,shop bought from, modification and want more.

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    FastEddie said:
    Cricket.
    Like @Gasage ; I adore the game. Each year I buy a new pro level bat and loads of kit. I am lucky to be sponsored by a few brands so I get a hefty discount.
    Still, I buy new gears all the time

This is a real hypocrisy to my lifestyle which is more akin to reuse and buy second hand. I can't stop myself! A new bat is like a new delay or modulation, just can't get enough.

Gloves and pads have to be pristine white. 

I have to confess to hypocrisy but cricket gears has me by the balls....
    I always found (in the 80s and 99s  admittedly) that bats took more than a season to really “knock in”. And the ads that suggested you could get pre-knocked in bats were never really believeable when you looked at the haymakers factories of the time. 
    KDS said:
    hifi, not bought anything for ten years, turntable shopping demo booked at 9:30 this morning, serious £ involved. Unlike guitars get anything wrong and that is much bigger financial loss.
    How did you get on ?  Any good ?
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    KDS said:
    Nearly 3 hr demo, bought Rega rp10, cartridge phono stage. Sounded great. Tried load of floor standers, didn’t buy any
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Motorcycles, and the workshop & tools to maintain and modify them ..I've a lathe and mill for machining, welding gear for sticking stuff together, compressor for tyre fitting, and too many hand tools to mention ... not spending so much now the workshop is largely complete, but I still get a kick out of buying exactly the right tool for any given job. 

Actually the modding is almost as important as the riding, which parallels my attitude to guitars and home studio ...  :)
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 535
    Cricket.
    It may sound odd but I spend way too much on gears. As Gassage, I am a lover of the game.
    Luckily I get sponsored so my bats cost a fraction of retail price. If I paid street prices for my gears it would be nearly touching £1k a year.
    I've just had a binge on guitar related gears so am having to have a lie down for a while.....
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31526
    I was going to leap in and say motorcycles, but as a pastime and as a profession (as a mechanic) I've probably broken even over the years, just as I have with my music and studio gear. 

It's hard making a living from your hobbies, but it can be surprisingly easy to break even. 
  • johnbazjohnbaz Frets: 7
    edited March 2019
    I'm in to Bonsai but also have loads of other hobbies- Most involve collecting though which can be rather expensive!

I collect watches (Have around 2,000 of them in total), Airguns (Around 150 at the mo!), I also collect knives, machinery and other tools along with binoculars/telescopes!

There's other stuff too!, I stopped smoking back in 2006 and found I had plenty of spare cash so that's when the collections started getting too big for the house, Think i'll be on 'The hoarder next door' before too long!

Oh, Also have an MG Midget in the garage to play with too!

EDIT- I recently bought six guitars in eight weeks, Even the missus started complaining about them being in the bedroom so most had to go in the spare room!!

John  
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    KDS said:
    KDS said:
    Nearly 3 hr demo, bought Rega rp10, cartridge phono stage. Sounded great. Tried load of floor standers, didn’t buy any
    Mmmm...nice !  Good luck with the speaker search.  Ooops....sorry to disturb your listening.  Gyrodec/Tabriz here.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6779
    johnbaz said:
    I'm in to Bonsai but also have loads of other hobbies- Most involve collecting though which can be rather expensive!

I collect watches (Have around 2,000 of them in total), Airguns (Around 150 at the mo!), I also collect knives, machinery and other tools along with binoculars/telescopes!

There's other stuff too!, I stopped smoking back in 2006 and found I had plenty of spare cash so that's when the collections started getting too big for the house, Think i'll be on 'The hoarder next door' before too long!

Oh, Also have an MG Midget in the garage to play with too!

EDIT- I recently bought six guitars in eight weeks, Even the missus started complaining about them being in the bedroom so most had to go in the spare room!!

John  
    Blimey, is your surname Trebus??
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    I sat and watched a few YTube vids of item restoration. I thought the Vice was particularly rewarding, then I thought "WTF?? I could be playing guitar...!"

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I probably spend more on them than on guitar gear these days..
    Same here, much more so in fact when compared to my net annual guitar spend, which I think moved into negative values (i.e. profit) last year. I’ve got a nice Triumph that I like to tinker with, and spend a comfortable amount on (entirely optional) new parts and modifications. It’s somewhat limited currently as I also have a wedding to pay for this year, but I’ve got some hefty mods to sort out over next winter.