Treble Bleed - Help!

MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
edited March 2019 in Making & Modding
Hoping to call on the wisdom of the board here. I have new Ibanez AZ which appears to have a standard treble bleed cap in there as per the photo below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xw2b565ggbr5q1b/2019-02-25 21.01.18.jpg?raw=1

What I'd like to achieve is a slightly smoother top end from the treble bleed mod so if I go with a Kinman bleed as per diagram is that likely to give me what I'm after? Cheers.

Image result for kinman treble bleed
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    Shuffled over into modding category. Any advice from more knowledgeable fretboarders?
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    They avoid the increase in brightness as the volume comes down that a simple capacitor bypass introduces.
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 367
    I am really keen on being able to use my volume pot across most of its range without losing the top end. Having spent a fair bit of time experimenting I have found that a .001 uf cap (as in your diagram) in series with a resistor around half the value of the volume pot works for me.

So for a 500k volume pot that's a 250k resistor approx. Actually I just did this the other day and used a 220k that I had to hand and it was absolutely fine. I much prefer this to a simple treble bleed cap, a cap and resistor in parallel or '50's wiring'.

I don't know what value that volume pot is but a .001 cap in series with a resistor around half the pot value is what I would suggest trying.
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Its funny how peoples ears work, I can't abide the things and have always removed them where fitted
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    You have to experiment to get the right combo, try clean and with dirt till it sounds right to you. Might like different sets for neck & bridge if they've got their own vols.
    I put on little fly leads so its easier to swap about than going at the pot terminals. Heat shrink the chosen ones. With a Strat type pg it lets them poke from under it to save a lot of faff. Tuck into the cavity when yr done.
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    Cheers all. It's a 500 pot so I'll order a selection of components and take it from there. Thanks.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 814
    edited March 2019
    For a 3metre cable  I have found that the following combination works perfectly (with audio taper pots) and does not mess with the pot taper too much...

680 pF capacitor
    250 to 280K resistor

Both connected in series -  The Kinman way.