Marshall low wattage Plexi or Cornell Plexi - help needed.

What's Hot
FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 523
edited March 2019 in Amps
I'm after a Marshall type crunch for my rig.
Am looking to have two amps, the other is a Cornell Romany (for sweet cleans) and want a Marshall crunch to go alongside.

Has to be low power. 

I like the 1974x as it has the valve trem, love that channel, but would also consider a Cornell Plexi.

If there are any other top quality clones I need to consider please do let me know.

If you have a 12 inch Cornell Plexi or Marshall 1978x for sale PM me......
If I had talent, I'd be talented.
Red meat and functional mushrooms.
Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
FX Plex - Cornell Romany
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71958
    If you want the proper Marshall crunch then don’t get an 18W-type circuit, they have quite a different sound.

You need the new Marshall 20W Plexi, which has a proper cathode-follower TMB tone stack, presence control and EL34s. No tremolo, but the Marshall trem isn’t great and it’s easier to get a good one in a pedal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 523
    ICBM said:
    If you want the proper Marshall crunch then don’t get an 18W-type circuit, they have quite a different sound.

You need the new Marshall 20W Plexi, which has a proper cathode-follower TMB tone stack, presence control and EL34s. No tremolo, but the Marshall trem isn’t great and it’s easier to get a good one in a pedal.
    I could give you a 'wisdom' press but wanted to reply.

The tone of a 1974x and Plexi......is the Plexi brittle or can it be tamed? Never played one but have played a 1974x

FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1012
    The 1974x is quite loud and needs to be turned up to get the Marshall tone, just sold one. 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71958
    FastEddie said:

The tone of a 1974x and Plexi......is the Plexi brittle or can it be tamed? Never played one but have played a 1974x
    A Plexi can be brittle-sounding at low volumes because of the oversized bright cap on the volume control, but overall it's a much bigger, thicker and crunchier-sounding amp than the 1974, which is quite middy and raspy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    If you want a plexi tone then I'd agree with the suggestion of the new 20w plexi - the 18w don't sound the same. 
    However, be aware that to get it to overdrive you're going to have to crank it. And even though they're only 20w, its still F loud.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 782
    Thorpy FX has got something for sale in £Amps that may interest you.
  • jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 66
    I’ve had both the 1974X and the Cornell. Both will make you happy. I was thrilled with my 1974x, and the Cornell is just beautifully Putin together (plus the 18/20 switch is great). I’ve had less time with it, but I’m really impressed with Cornell’s work. 
  • Don't forget MJW's offerings...
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    Manson's have had this for a while so might haggle  https://www.mansons.co.uk/product/pre-owned-cornell-plexi-18-20-combo-11911

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    jmf1928 said:
    I’ve had both the 1974X and the Cornell. Both will make you happy. I was thrilled with my 1974x, and the Cornell is just beautifully Putin together (plus the 18/20 switch is great). I’ve had less time with it, but I’m really impressed with Cornell’s work. 

Didn't know the Russian President could play guitar although it's not that surprising, he can do everything else really well.
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    The new 20w is way better than the 1974x if it's proper Plexi tones you want. I do like the 74 but it's a different sound for sure. 
  • Colms2005Colms2005 Frets: 18
    I am very happy with a Tone King Royalist 15 w head with an in built Ironman attenuator. EL84 rather than EL34.
    check them out used maybe..
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 523
    gordiji said:
    Thorpy FX has got something for sale in £Amps that may interest you.
    Thanks for the steer. I had a look and struck a deal with my fellow veteran. 
    AM now richer and poorer in many senses of the word....

FX Plex - Cornell Romany