Joyo / Harley Benton American True Tone

carloscarlos Frets: 3445
Great pedal. Mine arrived today from Thomann. Cost £24 new which is ridiculously low. For the quality and variety of the sounds it's a bargain. Running it into a little non-guitar mixer / amp to boost the signal (M-Track) and it sounds beautiful. Fender in a box indeed. The Voice knob is especially interesting as it a huge range of tones available.
Makes me want to try out the other True Tone boxes, at this price it's definitely not unfeasible to collect them all.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    I'm pondering spending my €50 Thomann voucher on a couple of these.  The U2 boys rave about the Vox one...
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Pity the manual is pretty much non-existent, but there's always this - http://www.tech21nyc.com/support/manuals/sansamp/CharacSeries-OM.pdf
  • PauloPaulo Frets: 65
    The Ac tone is excellent. The British sound is ok but imo the Ac tone covers most of it's territory. The American sound is a great pedal too. All three sound great in front of an amp too and would serve as crunch/boost pedals in their own right. The higher gain settings are a bit noisy and some say you should expect this, but it's a tad too much. but I generally use them somewhere around the middle and noise isn't too much of a problem.
    I have some tunes on Soundcloud recorded direct to pc of the Ac tone and the American Sound if anyone's interested.
    Paulo said:
    I have some tunes on Soundcloud recorded direct to pc of the Ac tone and the American Sound if anyone's interested.
    Yes please.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664

The AC Tone is brilliant! Only recently knocked off my board when I spent far too much on a Wampler Ace Thirty!

Truly brilliant pedals, regardless of the low price tag!

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    IIRC, there's a vid on YT somewhere, where a guy puts the AC tone after an o'd box and uses it a kind of pseudo amp sim for recording. Sounds pretty good too. I'll see if I can find it somewhere. BTW, I agree on the American Tone, some really nice sounds there and exceptional VFM in my book. dilbert..
    edited April 2014
    dilbert said:
    IIRC, there's a vid on YT somewhere, where a guy puts the AC tone after an o'd box and uses it a kind of pseudo amp sim for recording. Sounds pretty good too. I'll see if I can find it somewhere. BTW, I agree on the American Tone, some really nice sounds there and exceptional VFM in my book. dilbert..

Sorry chaps, I'm talking bollocks, it's the American he uses for an amp sim.
    They do sound good - I just wish you could defeat the speaker sim (like the V2 Tech 21 versions) and use impulse responses.

I didn't bother in the end, spent my vouchers on strings and cables (yawn) but I might still pick one of these up at some point.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    I've got one too. Great pedal but I only got it as an emergency if my amp blew up and I can go through the PA to get me through the gig :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    @Paulo. Were those tracks recorded straight from the pedal into your' DAW ?.  Damn cool samples either way :D

dilbert
    Yes iirc. I added rev/delay later. It was via my line 6 tone port but all sims/fx were off so it was pretty much direct. No other pedals into the Joyo either.
    The Ac tone in particular is a wonderful pedal and prob the best of the bunch (I own about 8 joyo pedals).
    Thanks for the comment btw. P
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

For the money these sound awesome. If you gooped the PCB and hand painted the enclosure, you could sell these for hundreds.

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2592
    Those tracks sound great.  If I thought they'd work as well for live use I'd snap one of these up.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31570
    Those tracks sound great.  If I thought they'd work as well for live use I'd snap one of these up.
    They do, that's exactly what they sound like. The other guitar player in my band uses an AC-Tone direct into the desk instead of his Vox amp. It's the sound he's been looking for for ages and which the Vox only gave him when it was in the mood. I keep one in my bag as backup too, the trick is to pretend it's an amp and boost it with pedals rather than try to run it flat out like a cheap fuzzbox.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    I've got mine after OD, compressor, tuner, but before delay/reverb. Seems to work better that way.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    I have the £20 Joyo American, it's a good sounding pedal for the price, but I prefer my Zendrive clone.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    GuyBoden said:
    I have the £20 Joyo American, it's a good sounding pedal for the price, but I prefer my Zendrive clone.
    Are you the Guy Boden I used to Jam with in Warrington?

Paul

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited May 2014
    Paulo said:
    GuyBoden said:
    Are you the Guy Boden I used to Jam with in Warrington?

Are you the Paul who played in a U2 band?

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."