Stereo amp and speakers advice please!

What's Hot
I’m hoping that there will be some hi fi experts on here that can help me out with a bit of advice. 

My my wife bought me a record deck for Christmas, but as she knows only slightly less than me about stuff like this, she only bought the deck with no amp or speakers. So, I need to source said amp and speakers. The deck has a pre-amp built in. 

There is (of course) a catch. I don’t want (read: have been instructed that I don’t want) “big speakers and wires going everywhere. Therefore, I’d like an amp that has a wireless output to some fairly compact speakers. 

Options and recommendations of kit to look at please.  Budget is what it needs to be to have a reasonable quality set-up, but ideally £400 or less. I’m not an audiophile or brand conscious so it doesn’t have to be high end stuff. 

Thanks in advance. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Go down to your local hi-fi dealer/shop and discuss your requirements with the assistant there.  I am not so sure you will get wireless speakers but a decent unobtrusive system can be assembled for that kind of money.  Do not rule out second hand kit as hi-fi shops take in good working kit as trade ins when customers upgrade their kit.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    Like @Rocker , I'm unsure about wireless speakers too.  For your budget I'd be inclined to check Richer Sounds, they have branches at Maidstone and Tonbridge.  Their goods are keenly priced and often NOS of last year's model.  £400 should get you a cracking starter system.  (btw, I'm nothing to do with Richer Sounds).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited March 2019
    Most decent hi-fi speakers are cable - manufacturers build things to a price point so a wired set of speakers will sound better than a similarly priced wireless set as corners will be cut with the drivers etc to keep the price down. I have a setup in my lounge and I'd defy you to see the cables. The run down the speaker stands and under the carpet.

As the others have said go to somewhere like Richer Sounds.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Do a bit of research first, and, if you feel confident enough, buy second hand.

If you don't feel confident enough to buy used, go to Richer Sounds. If they have "last years model" amp or speakers for half the expected price - that is a good thing.
    If you put the speakers on stands - at either side of theTurntable and Amp, the cables wlll barely be noticable against the skirting board.

In my opinion, the most common error, when first buying hi-fi,  is the purchase of speakers which are not suitable for the average UK living room.
    If you buy  stand mount speakers, and you intend to place them close to the back wall, don't buy speakers that are designed to be placed in free space.
    If you buy floorstanders, make sure you can return them if you don't like them. "Too much Bass" is a nightmare and can render half of your music collection unusable.

The best hi-fi setups I have heard (at various price points) have all had a (fairly) powerful amp driving small/medium sized speakers fairly hard. Turn the volume up until the bass is "just right".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FlametopFlametop Frets: 52
    Thanks chaps. Some stuff to think about. 
    Thanks gents. Paid a visit to Richer Sounds in Maidstone and have really nice setup playing at me right now. 
    Great result.  What did you get ?
    Yamaha R-N303 and a pair of Q Acoustics 3010s. Sound quality is plenty good enough for me. 
    Excellent value bits of kit !  To get the best from the speakers they'll benefit from stands.  If you don't have floor space, there are wall-mounted brackets/stands.  Enjoy !!