"Don't attenuate - buy an amp of appropriate size"

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
Despite using quote marks I have paraphrased Mr Rift from this video (which I very much enjoyed)

I must say I heartily disagree - one of the best amp-owning periods of my life was a JCM800 through a Torpedo Reload - I don't think I've played a 15w amp that responded like a 100w amp attenuated does.

What are others' thoughts on this? 

Great video overall - really interesting and I really must play a PR35 at some point... 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just use the master volume and deal with it is my opinion. A lot of the fun of high power amp tone is the punch you get at louder volumes, and that’s not possible at low volumes regardless of an attenuator anyway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    It depends what sound you want. If you want the sound of a cranked big amp quieter, then using a big amp and an attenuator will get you a lot closer than a small amp or turning the MV down.

There are so many ways to get good sounds at low volume that there are no right or wrong ways. Personally I generally prefer the response and flexibility of big amps, attenuated if necessary.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tell that to the Boss Waza Tube Expander when it lands. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    ICBM said:
    It depends what sound you want. If you want the sound of a cranked big amp quieter, then using a big amp and an attenuator will get you a lot closer than a small amp or turning the MV down.

There are so many ways to get good sounds at low volume that there are no right or wrong ways. Personally I generally prefer the response and flexibility of big amps, attenuated if necessary.
    for me with the 800 it was easily as much about the clean sound - not just the 'hard working power stage' thing 

I honestly think that owning a good attenuator and then being able to choose from all the great amps there ever were is a "better" way (if indeed one way can be said to be best) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    It’s an interesting subject - I was watching the Andertons Rift Demo and the PR6 sounded great and I started plotting in my head that it was much more fit for purpose than my 18 watt Carr Sportsman for home use - then he kicked in the drive pedals and it reminds you that you need some headroom for them to sound right. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    One of the main things I've learned from lots of experimentation is that loud amps sound good mostly because they are loud and there is no substitute for loud.

Quite a few amps need to be up a little to get working but IMO don't actually sound that great flat out as they get mushy and lose definition.

As ICBM often points out a big amp ticking over often sounds better than a piddly amp about to go on fire.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 753
    edited March 2019
    15 watts is great for smaller rooms and when you’re mic’d up, but I’ve found having one un-mic’d in a bigger room are some of the most difficult gigs I’ve ever played. 

The sweet spot for any amp is the goal, and so all these new ‘re-amp’ devices are the ideal.

Practically, though, clean headroom with a master volume to dial in some dirt is probably the most sensible thing to do this side of £1k. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    I'm very much sold on the PR35
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    I love the idea of it - not had chance to try one yet 
    Red ones are better. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Jalapeno said:
    is it just a blackface vibrolux reverb in a 1x12? looks like it doesn't have the normal channel
    bbill335 said:
    Jalapeno said:
    is it just a blackface vibrolux reverb in a 1x12? looks like it doesn't have the normal channel
    No not at all - the PR amps are a development of the Princeton - he does do a vibro type - and it does have 2 channels 
    Red ones are better. 
    Also any of them can be specced with black, silver or brown face preamps I think 
    Red ones are better. 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    bbill335 said:
    Jalapeno said:
    No, it very much is a high-power 6L6 PR, cathodyne PI and all
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    RiftAmps said:
    bbill335 said:
    Jalapeno said:
    No, it very much is a high-power 6L6 PR, cathodyne PI and all
    well, buddy, that sounds pretty cool!
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    Nice amps. I had to google the rift saw thing to get my head around it.
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    One of the main things I've learned from lots of experimentation is that loud amps sound good mostly because they are loud and there is no substitute for loud.

Quite a few amps need to be up a little to get working but IMO don't actually sound that great flat out as they get mushy and lose definition.

As ICBM often points out a big amp ticking over often sounds better than a piddly amp about to go on fire.
    Totally agree with this !
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    I think its a mixed bag. I've had great success with attenuators on amps, some success with power scaling type systems, and success with MV's. My current Bogner has a fantastic MV and sounds incredible at low volumes - (my 4 watt FUCH's on the other hand was too loud for home before it sounded half decent.)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I'm a bigger amp turned down guy and compromise on the size of the speaker cabinet if I must.
    I recently spent a week in the pit doing a show with a 20w combo. When the band got loud it felt horrible and chocked with no more dynamics, but up to that point it was OK. Size was important so I used the real estate for a pedal board rather than a bigger amp as the job required it and I didn't have time to reconfigure a smaller board between jobs.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7282

I agree with you....*but*...a guitars on records still sound ace at quiet volumes and retain their apparent size, id argue more so than a typical small amp.

Obv modellers are trying to capture this to greater or lesser extents using cab simulation etc and I have to say if im at home i dont normally bother turning on amps as helix native sounds much better at low volumes.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    Depends on the amp
    .........some respond really well to a good attenuator and others don't 
    ALSO some 15w Amps EG ; Matchless Lightning or a 30w Vox AC 30 are as loud as some 100w amps
    My Lightning 15w would drown my Brunetti 50w Plexi 
    Not all small amps are quiet
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom