LEDS

What's Hot
Led problems, need help!!!! I saw a video on YouTube about attaching led light strips around the body of an electric guitar. I did so with my cruiser crafter and it looks awesome. It's remote controlled and changes all different colours. I realised after that when I play the electric guitar it has a weird buzz and whenever I touch the strings it buzzes. I thought it could be due to the fact I only have single coil pick ups on my guitar or the fact it might be picking up the remote control waves. Does anyone know what it could be and how to fix it!!!!!!! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    If you don’t want to remove the lights, you will need to either very thoroughly shield the guitar electrics, fit hum-cancelling pickups, or both.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1239
    Whatever LEDs you're using will be controlled via a PWM system, which is very likely using a switching frequency within the audible range (even if it's not within the audible range, you'll still likely to get harmonics that are), with little to no shielding to prevent the stray EMI getting into your pickup/wiring.

As @ICBM says, you shielding is one option, or if you're willing to lose some functionality, swap all the LED control circuit for analogue circuitry, which will use more power, but shouldn't produce any EMI.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom