Chip & pin cards - how to secure these?

What's Hot
richhrichh Frets: 449
For these contactless cards, is it best to store it in some kind of foil lined wallet, to prevent hackers from accessing the data or debiting the card?

If I'm being paranoid, please tell me - if not what do I need to do to keep this secure?

Thanks!
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    You can get special holders that work like a Faraday cage. Tbh I think you’re being over cautious though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I have a Lifeventure RFID wallet that supposedly protects my cards from being skimmed. I didn't actually buy it for that feature I just liked the size and layout so it was an added benefit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N33R89K/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    I just have loads of RFID cards in the same wallet, including my house key. Nothing can scan 5 at once...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 449
    Thanks for that - I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Just seeing how easy it seems to be for the retailers to take payment on these, gives me some concerns over how secure my data is.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23968
    I just have loads of RFID cards in the same wallet, including my house key. Nothing can scan 5 at once...
    I did not know that.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    This. Just carry at least two contactless cards, and they won't scan (that is two contactless payment cards, not just some random RFID card).

The way the tech works, is the reader energises the cards and transmits an ID code (I'd imagine this will be published somewhere online). As the card energises, it checks to see if the ID code matches it's programmed code, and if it matches, it's starts communicating with the reader. If it doesn't match, it doesn't respond. However as soon as a second card acknowledges the request and starts communicating, it disrupts the data flow and everything locks down, until the process is restarted (aka the card is removed from the reader, allowing it to deenergise, then be re-presented).
    Contactless payment cards use the same ID, which is why you can have things like work access RFID cards in your wallet as well, and they'll still work, as at an access reader, the contactless payment cards won't respond, whereas the RFID card will. However if you were to put a colleagues RFID next to your own and try to get through an access point, they wouldn't work.

The videos I've seen from a couple sellers of faraday wallets, are simply using a reader that tells you it's had some kind of response from an RFID card. It's not actually reading anything from the cards, it's just simply detecting some kind of response. I've got an RFID reader that I could program to detect I've got cards in my wallet, but it wouldn't get any data from them unless I only presented a single card.

However, the other big thing is, contactless payment scams are a pretty rubbish way to steal money. Any fraud using a machine will simply be charged back to whoever used the machine, so you wouldn't gain anything other than some extra money sat in your payment processing account for a few days. From a criminals point, it's too traceable.
    You'd be far better just physically stealing the card, and carrying out some contactless payments, to buy some untraceable goods.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    I did not know that.
    I only found out when we moved to place with keycards instead of normal metal keys. If my house key is next to a bank card I can’t open my front door. So I keep that separate and all my bank cards together. In theory that should let me into my flat easily and stop anyone skimming my other cards :)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9552
    edited March 2019
    Don’t know if it’s true but I’ve heard that if you ask your bank, they will ‘disable’ your contactless card at their end. This way, any card reader that contacts your bank to authorise a contactless  transaction doesn’t get the go-ahead. A chip and PIN transaction is fine though.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it