Is it me or is this a 5TS Strat?

What's Hot
lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2524
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    The red used to fade away, turning 3-tone into 2-tone. It’s plausible that this happened on the front and not the back if the front was exposed to regular light and not the back, e.g. hanging up on a wall somewhere.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2524
    Ah interesting :+1: 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    mart said:
    The red used to fade away, turning 3-tone into 2-tone. It’s plausible that this happened on the front and not the back if the front was exposed to regular light and not the back, e.g. hanging up on a wall somewhere.
    Back looks like my 1978/79 Precision Bass. Front resembles my mate's 1977 tobacco sunburst Stratocaster. (His even has chunks of clear coat missing from similar locations.)

Raise the pickguard on that eBay Strat and there will be red along the edge near the selector switch and lower tone knob. Maybe, even, around the neck pocket next to the low E string.

My bass is redder around the bridge where the metal screening "ashtray" cover used to be than around the remainder of the edge.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    That's very cool I like it!

I remember a couple of years ago when I was Strat shopping I seemed to think the 2-tone sunburst as just an inferior version of the 3-tone for some reason but the front of that guitar is beautiful. Might be the black scratchplate. Might be that if it is indeed that the red has faded off that it looks different to if it was 2-tone to begin with?

Maybe they should offer that as a reliccing option.