Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Weld (1991)

What's Hot

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    I got into him around that time and Ragged Glory was the first new Neil record for me. I'll have a listen to Weld on the way home - cheers!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    I got into him around that time and Ragged Glory was the first new Neil record for me. I'll have a listen to Weld on the way home - cheers!
    You're in for a treat, it was recorded on the Ragged Glory Tour and features many of the songs from the album. Ragged Glory is my fave of his studio albums.

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1018
    Weld - one of the truly great live albums (a double), this was my first exposure to Neil Young. Our local library had cassettes you could take out back in the day and I grabbed this in 1991 not knowing who he was apart form a name I'd heard about...I took the cassette back a week later and then bought the album. Love the songs and tones and have ever since.

When I finally got to 'see' the video I was a little shocked and how cheesy it seemed. The fake massive amps are a brilliant stage set as is the giant microphone, but the audience look well odd, but seem to be loving it! Neil's haircut is, well, you have a look...

It's weird how the band seem to crowd together on the large stage but I reckon it was the concert film director's instruction as they only had a few cameras and grouped up they could all get in a lot of the video shots.

Anyway, I love the album and many of the songs are exceptional live versions and you can't dispute Neil Young's passionate performance.

Hey Hey My My (Into The Black):

Cortez The Killer:

Bonus: 

Neil Young with Pearl Jam - Rockin' In The Free World from 1993 MTV Awards

The amps were made in 1965 for some American band, then later called back to the manufacturer and destroyed. Not sure if they worked but quite cool. 

Love Ragged Glory, fantastic album 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    Whenever someone questions whether or not Neil Young is a great player. I simply ask if they can play like him?
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    You're in for a treat, it was recorded on the Ragged Glory Tour and features many of the songs from the album. Ragged Glory is my fave of his studio albums.
    I have heard it - just not for about 12 months. I was just thanking you for reminding me :)

I was nicely surprised by how much Ragged Glory material he still did when I saw him 2013 - incredible experience.  
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    The Ragged Glory era was a real return to a peak after a long period of patchy albums - the whole run from Ragged Glory to Broken Arrow is fantastic, as well as varied - there's Harvest Moon in there as well as Sleeps With Angels and Mirror Ball. Even though there are some great songs scattered among them, I can't think of another run of five great albums in a row after Zuma.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Ragged Glory was my first NY record, then Weld (but not the edition with that Arc thing!).  Still love Ragged Glory, some of Freedom is great too, but I didnt get into his other stuff anywhere near as much, despite my love of the Meat Puppets (who were influenced by him) at that time of my life.
    This leads me to ask - is it common amongst you guys to experience this - the first album you ever hear by an artist always remains your favourite, even if common wisdom says it may not be anything like their 'best'?  
    I mean, in this thread we're praising Ragged Glory/Weld era Young, but many longtime Neil Young fans wouldn't perhaps say this is his best (or even typical) material.

I also like Social Distortion, who toured with NY on the Weld stuff - Mike Ness tells the story that its there where he decided to go to P90s in his guitars, inspired by Neil's roadie removing the mini humbuckers from new guitars and literally just throwing them in the bin as he installed P90s in their place...
    Ragged Glory was my first NY record, then Weld (but not the edition with that Arc thing!).
    I actually like 'that Arc thing' :). If you don't have it, it's possible to download it... not too cheeky if you own Weld, I don't think. I admit I haven't listened to it all that many times, but it's better than Metal Machine Music ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    ICBM said:
    Ragged Glory was my first NY record, then Weld (but not the edition with that Arc thing!).
    I actually like 'that Arc thing' :). If you don't have it, it's possible to download it... not too cheeky if you own Weld, I don't think. I admit I haven't listened to it all that many times, but it's better than Metal Machine Music ;).
    If this genre appeals to you I can also heartily recommend 'The Silver Sessions' by Sonic Youth...
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I think I got in o him when Whistle Test showed footage of his Trans gigs. I got Gold Rush from the cassette library and bought Harvest and Decade. 

Most of the stuff on Reprise was great, but he's been terribly hit and miss since. Saw him live with Booker T which was awesome. Pity he was a little shite when I saw him with Pearl Jam at Reading. It was more about arty silouttes and feedback endings.

I learned strumming with the Crazy Horse stuff he did with the extended solos.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7117
    edited March 2019
    Iamnobody said:
    Whenever someone questions whether or not Neil Young is a great player. I simply ask if they can play like him?
    I was about to make the same point . With the right teacher and loads of hard work , quite a few of us could become a ‘great player’.

I’d say very few can play like Neil Young though no matter how much work you put in.
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 198
    edited March 2019
    I’am really surprised “After the Goldrush” has not had a mention.One of his  great albums.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    @rustneversleeps I did in passing. It's awesome.
  • yorkioyorkio Frets: 173
    ICBM said:
    Arc is also on Spotify. 

https://open.spotify.com/album/49qY6IFZ1hHxTSvXzXb4qC?si=OdFMyliGSJW5hKGwlBSSJQ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    I’am really surprised “After the Goldrush” has not had a mention.One of his  great albums.
    I think that might be the first of his I heard, I borrowed it from someone in school around the time Rust Never Sleeps came out (so maybe I actually heard that first).
  • I’am really surprised “After the Goldrush” has not had a mention.One of his  great albums.
    Fear not old bean. I mentioned it on page 1  :)
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    That’s sort of what I meant about the first album you hear by an artist colouring the rest of their catalogue for you.  If your intro to NY is Ragged Glory or Weld, as mine was, it’s hard to adjust back to After the Goldrush, which I assume most would think was quintessential Young.

Hunting down Arc right now for my noise fix  :)
    edited March 2019
    rivercider said:

That’s sort of what I meant about the first album you hear by an artist colouring the rest of their catalogue for you.  If your intro to NY is Ragged Glory or Weld, as mine was, it’s hard to adjust back to After the Goldrush, which I assume most would think was quintessential Young.
    I think the first album I heard was Rust Never Sleeps, although I’m not sure. The first I bought, rather than borrowed or taped from friends, was Broken Arrow - I like the early ones at least as much though. I don’t really have a favourite, there are too many good ones.

I think in general I don’t tend to like the first album I heard best from most artists, having thought about it. Some exceptions obviously.

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    Zuma was the first album I heard of his and pardon my heart is still my favourite song
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    Last night I came across a copy of the Weld concert video that has been ripped from an old laser disc (remember them?). The picture quality is superb almost HD, far better than the VHS video cassette version and the grainy Youtube vids. The sound mix is different to the album as well.