Anything interesting?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Can't watch it now.

Anything interesting?
    Mike has never drunk a cup of coffee.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

I forgot about this. Cheers for posting.

I want to watch the one with Alex Jones.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I didn't watch it at the time because I have a bit of a problem with how much people idolise a convicted rapist.

That said I've heard a few people say it's remarkable what a different person he is since his fighting days so I'm considering giving it a watch.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    As a boxer he was awesome.
    I've never been one for following celebrity, though.
  • I didn't watch it at the time because I have a bit of a problem with how much people idolise a convicted rapist.

That said I've heard a few people say it's remarkable what a different person he is since his fighting days so I'm considering giving it a watch.
    He did his time. There must always be a path to redemption for people like him - his upbringing was atrocious, and boxing stopped him from becoming something much worse.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Thanks for this. I don't often listen to the Joe Rogan Podcast, but I'll queue this one up.

For info, the one where he spoke to Ross Edgley (the guy who swam around the whole of Britain without stepping foot on land) is interesting. I might be biased as he's an old school friend of mine, but he's really enthusiastic about it and it's very infectious and an interesting listen. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    Yeah, but I bet Mike Tyson couldn't handle Rogan Josh...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    tFB Trader
    I didn't watch it at the time because I have a bit of a problem with how much people idolise a convicted rapist.

He did his time. There must always be a path to redemption for people like him - his upbringing was atrocious, and boxing stopped him from becoming something much worse.

I do agree.

I think the loss of faith in the concept of redemption is one of the biggest problems we face.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Didn’t he always deny the rape? Isn’t he bound by a gag order where the rape is concerned?
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    tFB Trader
    Didn’t he always deny the rape? Isn’t he bound by a gag order where the rape is concerned?

I think he went to jail for it?
  • Didn’t he always deny the rape? Isn’t he bound by a gag order where the rape is concerned?

Yeah but he’s never admitted to rape as far as I’m aware and he’s legally obliged to not tell his side. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'

Yeah but he’s never admitted to rape as far as I’m aware and he’s legally obliged to not tell his side. 
    This is true. But the evidence at the time supported the guilty verdict.

The guy has had a really insane life. I just read that his 4 year old daughter died when she accidentally got tangled in the cables on a treadmill machine. OMG.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Didn’t he always deny the rape? Isn’t he bound by a gag order where the rape is concerned?

If memory serves me correctly he pleaded no contest
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

There is something very tragic about Tyson. Immense boxing talent, and quite a bright man, but his life has been a series of disasters and missed opportunities. As soon as Cus D'Amato died, he was lost. Everything about his life went down the toilet after that and he lost the plot in just about every way.

In his prime, he was a truly phenomenal boxer. Monstrously powerful and fast. His early fights were (for a boxing fan) captivating. Hadn't seen that sort of explosive relentless power since Foreman. Foreman in his prime, pre Rumble in The Jungle is something to see too. His demolition of Frazier and Norton: wow.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited March 2019
    Snap said:

There is something very tragic about Tyson. Immense boxing talent, and quite a bright man, but his life has been a series of disasters and missed opportunities. As soon as Cus D'Amato died, he was lost. Everything about his life went down the toilet after that and he lost the plot in just about every way.

In his prime, he was a truly phenomenal boxer. Monstrously powerful and fast. His early fights were (for a boxing fan) captivating. Hadn't seen that sort of explosive relentless power since Foreman. Foreman in his prime, pre Rumble in The Jungle is something to see too. His demolition of Frazier and Norton: wow.

You have to understand that he was being trained since he was something like 13. Prior to that he had an alcoholic mother, he was into street crime and drugs, and was on a truly fucked path to hell. Boxing saved his life in many ways, and Cus D'Amato pulled him out of the hole he was in.

He talks about how he was trained in the interview - hypnosis and dehumanization.

Tragic yes. But also there is a ray of light and hopefulness there.

Bye!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Not listened to this one yet but the most recent David Lee Roth podcast is great.
  • Utterly dangerous, conflicted, volatile human being.

I'd get on with him a treat.

That's what 23 years of sitting in meetings with my own recovery does, stops me judging people as much and admit, often scarily, that one identifies with large parts of another persons chaotic lived experience. 

Funny fookers, humans, aren't we?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Tyson in his prime was frightening! From what i recall from the Tyson film wasn't he fucked over by Don king and hangers on?
    It was sad seeing him lose last fight, a shadow of his former self. The other guy then being able to say "i beat Tyson"...not the real Tyson. Same as Ali and later fights.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.