10 Questions We Ask Everyone

What's Hot

Comments

• 1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?
    A Peavy Predator I think, 3 a side headstock and strat style bridge and pickups. Quite a nice little guitar actually. My dad surprised me with it 10 years ago.

2: The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save? 
    My bastard tele and my acoustic. Though I'd run back to get my SG if I could.

3: What’s the oldest guitar that you own? 
    No oldies any more, probably my 04 mexican tele.

4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire? 
    Got a Mexican strat on the way, though I'm planning a purge and treating myself to a RI Coronado.

5: What strings do you use?
    D'addario 11s on everything. Acoustic is strung with Elixer 12s. Been on it for about 3 years now...

6: If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be? 
    More time spent on the vocals of my last recording, had the flu and knocked them out in two takes. I'm not hugely proud of my voice on there.

7: What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage? 
    Pooing. I get nervous shits. Other than that drinking lots of water and taking the piss out of the bassist/warming up my voice.

8: ...And five minutes after? 
    Usually found outside trying to cool down. I've never finished a gig not being hot and sweaty

9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you onstage?
    Nothing bad playing wise luckily enough. There's nothing worse than playing your little heart out to an audience comprised of the other band, sound guy and your mate Joe.

10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar? 
    Learn more theory, practice loads, don't be afraid to sing and play- it's not that bad, learn what those squiggly things on lined paper mean and learn how to play the drums properly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?
    Cheap Satellite thing (vaguely strat-shaped but with two pickups, slide switches that I kept knocking to the off position and an agricultural tremolo) from a second hand shop in Shotton about 1982. £25. Stopped off at my auntie's house in Mold on the way home and she gave me her old copy of Bert Weedon's Play in a Day. Good start.

None of them are fantastic, so as long as I got one or two.

1994 Fender Jazz Bass.

I've had a hankering for a Les Paul for a while, but I'm on an Epiphone budget for a while.

Currently D'Addarios - liked them on acoustics so I tried them on electric as well. Maybe time to try something different now. 

We released a cassette once that turned out insipid and middle of the road, whereas live we were a bit rawer and livelier. We should have aimed for a live sound and not be overproduced.

7: What are you doing five minutes before you go on stage? 
    Getting nervous.

Feeling relieved and buzzing... but it's been a while!

9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you on stage? 
    I was in a school play, in a small crowd scene playing a peasant working in a field. We'd made props (scythes) in woodwork and we were supposed to be scything away as the curtain opened at the start of the scene. So, there we were, toiling away behind closed curtains for what seemed like ages... I leant on my scrap wood and hardboard scythe and turned to my friend and said "jeez, are these curtains going to open or what?" By the time I realised what I'd done the curtains had opened and the lights were up, and several hundred parents were laughing at this one workshy peasant. Last time I agreed to be in a school play.

Luckily, nothing as bad ever happened in a band context!

Keep at it, there's so much to learn and so much enjoyment to be had. Oh yeah, when you're 44 you'll make a record and it'll get played on Radio 1!
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited August 2013

Fender Gemini II acoustic, bought in 1994.

My Collings D1A. I could just about do all my current gigs with just that guitar if i had to,

1933 National Style O

At the moment I'm trying to shed, not acquire. Probably a LR Baggs Venue DI.

For my Collings and Martin, the new(ish) Martin Tony Rice signature strings. They're made of Monel (a kind of nickel) and are an interesting gauge that I really like...still .013-.056 but slightly lighter in the middle than normal. All the other acoustics and resow have bog standard Martin 80/20 Mediums on. Electrics...dunno. Haven't used one in anger for so long I've forgotten.

I'd change the excessive white boy blues growling on some of the tracks on my first CD. I find it embarrassing now.

Finalising (or sometimes starting) the set list

Depending on where the gig is, either having a drink or dashing for the last train home.

Touch wood nothing outrageous. I guess as an acoustic player your whole night is at the mercy of the sound guys so I'd say just terrible sound is the worst thing that's happened.

"In 14 years time you're going to want to play bluegrass. Start working on it now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    edited August 2013
    Just turned 17 so late 1989/early 1990. It was an Epiphone 435i. I wanted to play guitar because two friends I'd met at sixth form played guitar and I wanted to be in the clique. I bought the guitar from a neighbours Kays catalogue. But the one I chose was cheaper and nastier than what I ended up with. They sent a bass by mistake.When they finally sent me a six string it was the Epiphone 435i Superstrat - not great, but much better than the one I'd ordered. Someone had cocked up again, but I didn't say anything this time. 

Well duh...

Well sort of the Epiphone 435i. It got completely worn out - being played for 20 years. Eventually it fell apart. But I still have the neck on a Crapcaster I made. 

I'm very tempted by the BlackStar ID series and was thinking of getting an ID:60 Head. But I'm using the money instead to get an Xbox One. In the meantime I think I'll get one of those new BlackStar LT Dual dirt pedals if they are any good. 

Always used Ernie Ball, just because during my one and only guitar lesson age 17 one of my best mates said I should. I tried Elixers in the last few years and didn't quite get on with them. Recently tried D'Addario and think they are fab so am sticking with them. 

That I'd backed up the tracks. I recorded some demos ten years ago that are rough as hell. But I like them. They are for me. But I only have terrible MP3 versions now, no originals. I really wish I had the originals so I could clean them up a bit. I've never re-recorded those songs I wrote because even though I'd do a million times better job of it now, they wouldn't have the spark I loved. 

Usually sweating a lot and worrying my guitar won't stay in tune. 

Grinning like an idiot. 

I was helping a Christian group out at uni at some big event and they had me playing electric, acoustic and bass. At this event it had been going pretty well, despite the stress of the role they'd given me as three different guitarists. But halfway through I started one song and had no sound from my amp. Took me a verse and a chorus to work out which cable wasn't in the right place. I must have looked a complete tool. Every time I see Derek Smalls strugging to get out of the pod I think of that moment. Later one of the guys told me he could see I had the wrong guitar still plugged in and was trying to signal, but I didn't notice. 

Forget about the Shadows and your daft ideas about rhythm and lead. In Maiden Dave and Adrian both play lead. There's not some exam where you're told you've got good enough at chords and rhythm and are now allowed to play lead. Play rhythm and lead now. Oh and don't be so shy, they really do fancy you because you play guitar, you turn down some dead certs you twit.

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4958
    edited August 2013
    Crappy classical that I put electric strings on and broke it in 2! Shortly after, a Satellite cheese grater electric w/ plastic Sound City amp. Both circa '82.

Head says the JS1000, heart says the heavily self modded '91 Squier Strat.

The above Korean Squier Strat, it replaced a thru-neck of unknown origin with dual humbuckers that got stolen in a burglary. I'd fitted a Fred within weeks and continue to mod it to this day. Funnily enough, the last mod was to return it to SSS status.

A better DAW. My old version of Sonar is fast approaching obsolescence! That, or a decent bass amp.

Elixirs 9-42, not much choice as I'm allergic to nickel and they're cheaper than Maxima Gold's. Stainless and Chrome just don't sound the same.

Picked a longer section to solo in on a track I produced as a thank you for a friend. But there was already about 15 people on it, and once I'd fitted everyone else in I ran out of time and just played on the 10 second slot that wasn't filled. Saying that, I do still like what I did on that track, so other than re-record everything I've ever done but better, nothing.

Not gigged regularly for 20 years, and very sporadically since, but usually having a beer or 3.

Having another beer or 3.

Completely forgetting how to play something I've played hundreds of times before and trying to wing it, badly.

If you feel a bad day coming on in your late 30's, put the guitar down and watch TV instead, tendonitis isn't worth it!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Eko Ranger 6. First electric was an 'Axe' already mentioned (mine was lighter in weight, though). Only got rid of it last year under the "one in, one out" rule, to make way for a guitar synth

Patrick Eggle New York Standard.

Three-way tie between Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro, Patrick Eggle New York Standard, and Fender Mex Strat, all from 1993.

Possibly a Roland electronic drum kit

Ernie Ball, 9-42 on most, 10-52 on the strat and the acoustic(!). Flatwounds on the archtop.

Mixed an album on inch-wide tape in 1999 but mastered to a new-fangled DAT machine: it added loads of unwanted compression.

Looking for the bassist and drummer to say "finish your cigarettes, we're on in five minutes"

Making polite conversation with the drunkest member of the audience who has come up to slur "That was ****ing great, man"

Was playing at a Christian convention, couldn't get my guitar in tune, the big screen video monitors / live TV feed kept doing extreme close-ups of me wincing and desperately adjusting tuning pegs

Get a metronome, practise at slowest speed on the dial, next day notch it up to the next speed . . .
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    Well my dad lent me his Yamaha telecaster thing for about 10 months while saved up all my pocket money and bought myself my first guitar with 10 months of savings and birthday and christmas money so my first guitar i guess would be a Gibson GG Special :D

My SG special

1996 MIM Fender Tele

Dr.Z Maz38

Elixir coated  .010

suck less lol

still setting up...
    and beer drinking lots of beer

MORE BEER!

Whole set completely fell apart, didnt finish half our songs just cpmpletely sucked! xD

Learn some damn theory!!!!!

• 4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire?
    A better DAW. My old version of Sonar is fast approaching obsolescence! That, or a decent bass amp.

Get Reaper. It's cheap as chips and has functions many of the very expensive DAWs lack. You'll still have money for a bass amp too.

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4958
    edited August 2013

Get Reaper. It's cheap as chips and has functions many of the very expensive DAWs lack. You'll still have money for a bass amp too.
    @Grumpyrocker No stave editor is a deal-breaker with Reaper for me, and the external editors you can use and import is way too much hassle. New version of Sonar methinks.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Ah you are a proper musician then, not just a guitarist pleb like me. :)

• benecolbenecol Frets: 397
    A Marlin Sidewinder strat copy. I bought it from a friend in 1989 when I was 14.

My Jazzmaster.

I don't set that great store on old guitars (although I've played some lovely ones) - I prefer shiny new things (or at least, my budget does). So: my Jazzmaster - a 2002 AVRI in surf green.

A Princeton Reverb reissue - may be picking one up next week.

D'Addario EXL116 11-52s on everything.

Not have lost all the C90s with those recordings on.

Not massively applicable, but puking with nerves, mainly.

Puking with relief.

Getting an electric shock trying to fix a Twin copy that was enough to belt me through the curtain at the back of the stage and into the stored pantomime furniture.

Learn more scales than just the pentatonic or it'll get stuck in your fingers (it has).
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    edited August 2013

Mid 1970s.  Cheap acoustic on which I learned a few chords and some exercised from a Bert Weedon instruction book that came with said guitar

None of them!  Guitars are only bits of (fancy) wood and wires.  Get my wife and myself out and let the gear take care of itself.

Said Telecaster.

Two pins for my straplocks

Elexirs on everything

N/A

N/A

N/A

Years ago the mains socket was controlled by a coin operated slot switch, which switched off blowing all the fuses in our system.

Learn how to tune it properly and then learn power chords

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• @lixarto, monquixote, jguitar. eric the weary, gusman2x and ICBM
    Thanks guys, appreciate it :)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • RaveRave Frets: 268

1964 Hagstrom Futurama. Christmas gift from my parents Christmas 1990- aged 8.

Tough one as the guitars I have have been with me for such a long time. They're usually cased and I'm able to carry four hard cases at once (two in each hand) plus the Blade is kept in a gig back so I'd be able to to strap that on and run. Five guitars saved- RG550, Jem7BSB, Jem7VSBL, UV777PBK and Levinson Blade RH4 Classic.

1964 Hagstrom Futurama followed by an '85 Gibson Firebird VII.

I don't have an answer for this question!

Ernie Ball- various gauges.

The playing!

Worrying that I'm the only one in tune

Stopping people from touching my gear.

Learn to play drums.

A Kay strat copy gifted to me by a friend when he wanted me to learn so we could start a band.

I don't have anything mega expensive or irreplaceable but if I had time I'd grab my PRS SE singlecut.

Probably the Kay but as that's in my parents loft now I don't think it counts so then it would be my RG from early/mid 90s.

The rest of the parts needed to complete my tele build.

Various brands depending on what's cheap.The PRS SE and Epi Wildkat get 10-52s and the strat and Ibby get 9s.

Never recorded anything more serious than a demo and I've no real clangers that I can remember.

Only done it the once so far and I was chatting to some workmates that turned up.

Mingling - it was mainly friends and family.

Nothing too bad - I was pretty embarrassed when I called a stop to a song before the intro was over because someone was seriously out of tune (it wasn't me!)

Take it more seriously early on, play with others and get a teacher sooner because by the time you're in your 30s you'll wish you had the time you had in your teens to put the hours in.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    edited September 2013
    DrBob said:
    Practice, you'll never have this much free time again
    frankus said:
    I'd record it.

Wisdom awarded.
    Cheap Satellite thing (vaguely strat-shaped but with two pickups, slide switches that I kept knocking to the off position and an agricultural tremolo) from a second hand shop in Shotton about 1982. £25. 
    Not the "Bargain Stores"? Used to get all my stuff there in the 70s. @thermionic

• JadedJaded Frets: 127
    A Cimar Strat. Went to my first gig and the next day I was up in that loft hunting for it. I was... 16 or 17?

Well if it's only the one it'll be my Sonic Blue Jaguar... but seeing as I have two hands the other would be my Cobain Jaguar.

An Aria 1802t from the 70's. Not sure of the year but it's probably from the latter half of the 70's. 

The new EHX Hot Tubes re-issue or another Mustang.

D'addario's. Currently .10.5's but I'll use .11's and .12's too.

Make sure I was more hands on with the mixing... might actually hear myself then.

Making sure I haven't forgotten anything and getting the rest of the band are ready.

Clearing up my stuff and getting a pint of water from the bar.

Urm... I guess turning on a Polychorus for a big ol noise jam and not hearing anything... I'd forgotten to turn it's power on. 

Get a job, save up a bit and buy yourself a vintage Jaguar now while they're still affordable! ...make sure it has block inlays while you're at it... and JOIN A DAMN BAND!
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited September 2013
    Here we go then:

A Hofner Senator bass in 1973, bought so I could join the band in school. Paid £15 for it.

Les Paul Pre-historic reissue. It's simply the best Les Paul I've ever played. Other guitars get more use but this one is irreplaceable.

A 1962/3 Martin F-50

A Carr Mercury combo. I would then sell all my other amps. Honest.

D'Addario 10-46

Find it. It's on 1/4" tape so playing it back might be a problem too.

I don't gig these days

See above.

Go into a big solo with the volume off.

Learn to do it properly before you get too many bad habits.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited January 2014
    2005-6 (at a guess) metallic silver Dean Baby ML, in late 2007 - I was twelve. Still got it, it's not a bad guitar. Doesn't get played much any more though.

I'd use two hands and grab my Gibson V (my first properly nice guitar) and my Jackson Soloist (the Green Bastard)... then go back in for my Jazzmaster and Tokai PRS copy.

My Tokai PR100 PRS copy, it's from about 2000. I'd like some older stuff at some point through.

A Strat - an MJT build. Then a Washburn Parallaxe 29-fret seven-string. Also a fair few pedals.

Elixirs without fail, usually 9-46. All other strings are shite by comparison.

Many, many things.

Trying to keep calm. Probably having a slash.

After I go onstage? Playing the end of the first song.
    After I come off... dunno, depends. Often involves chatting to members of the audience.

Thankfully, nothing too disastrous (yet)... hopefully nothing much for a while.

Work on your bends and vibrato tirelessly, they're the most important thing once you've got the notes. Play more acoustic early on, it'll save you (me) a shitload of practice in the long run. And for fuck's sake learn some sod-buggering theory.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."