Telecaster Quarterpounder Volume pot ohms ?

GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
I'm going to fit a quarterpounder to my Squire tele,on the Seymour wiring diagrams it shows a 500k pot,is this correct I thought single coil tele pickups where 250k ?

The dimarzio I have on now is 500k,but that's a mini humbucker type,so thought i'd check.
Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    The best pot value is determined by the resistance and inductance of the pickup, not whether it's a single coil or a humbucker. An overwound single coil like a Quarter Pounder actually has a *higher* resistance and inductance than a low-wound humbucker like a PAF, so it may need a 500K.

Try it as it is, and if it sounds wrong - but it's very unlikely that it will - then change the pot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    ICBM said:
    The best pot value is determined by the resistance and inductance of the pickup, not whether it's a single coil or a humbucker. An overwound single coil like a Quarter Pounder actually has a *higher* resistance and inductance than a low-wound humbucker like a PAF, so it may need a 500K.

Try it as it is, and if it sounds wrong - but it's very unlikely that it will - then change the pot.
    Thanks,ICBM.So try it with the existing 500K pot i'm using with the Dimarzio ?(sorry i'm a bit out of my depth with this stuff).
    GrahamG said:

Thanks,ICBM.So try it with the existing 500K pot i'm using with the Dimarzio ?(sorry i'm a bit out of my depth with this stuff).
    Yes. Only change it to 250K if it sounds unnaturally harsh or shrill. I'll take a bet it won't!

A more difficult question is what to do about the neck pickup, if it's a standard Tele single coil - although they can be quite dark anyway (the cover does that) so a 500K pot might help there too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    ICBM said:
    An overwound single coil like a Quarter Pounder actually has a *higher* resistance and inductance than a low-wound humbucker like a PAF, so it may need a 500K.
    The STL-3 is a fairly "dark" sounding thing. Nice through overdriven valve amplification but not especially twangy. 

GrahamG said:
    The dimarzio I have on now
    Which model is it? It might prove to be a better choice than the QP.
    Be seeing you.
  • barneydbarneyd Frets: 15
    I put an Oil City Alligator 90 ( I think similar to a quarter pounder ) in a Tele. The stock 250 K pots sounded much too muffled and changing to 500K pots worked a treat. The stock neck pickup sounds fine with the 500K pots and you can always just back the tone control off a bit.
    Funkfingers said:

The STL-3 is a fairly "dark" sounding thing. Nice through overdriven valve amplification but not especially twangy.
    It's one of my favourite Tele bridge pickups because it does keep a little of the twang compared to most humbuckers - it has a huge grind and punch that you just never seem to get from any other equally powerful pickup - but it's definitely quite dark.

Thanks,guys.It should arrive tomorrow, so I'll report back with how I get on with it.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 470
    I’d go for 500k volume and tone pots.
    Tested the Quarterpounder at Saturdays gig,sounded & worked really good(wish I could say the same for my Amp).
    Question:is it ok/correct to use it without a Tone pot or the cap Seymour show on the wiring diagram?
    Thanks.
    GrahamG said:

Question:is it ok/correct to use it without a Tone pot or the cap Seymour show on the wiring diagram?
    It's fine - you will just get a tiny bit more top-end, like turning the tone pot up to 11 :).