Speaker recommendation

What's Hot
vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92
Hi all,

I just bought a Morgan PR5 which comes with a celestion greenback and wanted to experiment with speakers.

Something with more Fendery chime is a must also being mid scooped and with less bass would be a bonus (I am mainly playing in my flat and bass travels more etc)

I am considering the Jensen C12n or C12q but would really appreciate some advice.

Many thanks as always
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Fendery chime - definitely Jensen. In the Jensen series the 'lower' the letter, the bigger the magnet and more volume and  bass response generally, so you probably want the Q rather than the N. The Q is also slightly more scooped-sounding.

You could even try the C12R, although I find that too thin-sounding and lacking body, as well as quieter - it's probably too low-sensitivity for a 5W amp to get much useful volume when you're not playing at home.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    Alnico might sound sweeter if you don't mind spending a bit more.

Some of the Jensen offerings aren't great.  The C12R is likely to be thin and farty in the bass.  Other companies make "American" flavoured speakers.  WGS makes some good ones.  Weber are good, but they aren't the easiest to find in this country.  If you can find a Weber 12A125 it would probably sound stunning. 

I know it's not a traditional "American" sounding speaker, but I'd seriously look at a Celestion Blue if you can afford it.  It would definitely add chime compared with a Greenback, and it's probably the best souding guitar speaker there is.
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1527
    I've heard good things about the celestion a type. Definitely check that one out.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    I just fitted a Wharehouse WGS G12C in a PR clone, thought it sounded good, bass was not boomy treble was nice and not harsh. and they are not too expensive from what I remember.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    Shameful plug but I’m selling my alnico cream if you’re interested :- 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/151190/fs-celestian-12-alnico-cream-8ohm#latest
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Thanks all, I’m leaning towards the wgs but will put off purchasing til I decide if I will keep the amp - it came with an 16 ohm speaker but the attenuator I hoped to use it with (Ironman II) only works with 8 ohm (hence my interest in a new speaker and post here) and I’m not sure I want to spend more money on the setup, especially as I’ve noticed that there are amps with built in power scaling and attenuators at the total price point... 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    If the amp has an 8-ohm setting you can use the attenuator.

Impedance matching only really matters between the amp and the attenuator - which is what it sees as the load - not the attenuator and the speaker, as long as the attenuator is set to at least 3dB down. The speaker impedance doesn’t matter at all below 6dB down.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson