Rode NT1-A condenser mic, anyone use one?

What's Hot
I'm thinking of purchasing the Rode NT1-A to record acoustic guitar and vocals, does anyone use one to good effect? I have a naturally loud and quite powerful voice being a big chap and all that so was wondering if this would be an acceptable mic? I was thinking of buying the kit that comes with a shock mount and pop filter from Amazon at £139, a good deal or are there better Mic's for less than £150? Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    It is a good starter mic and I have a couple here.

The problem with microphones is they work differently on different people.
    It is as good a choice as anything if you are buying blind.

Usually I recommend a different mic for acoustic guitar (SDC) than I do a vocal (LDC) though.
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 710
    If you decide it’s the right one for you, let me know. I bought one a little over a month ago for acoustic recording and wishing I’d gone down the small condenser route to be honest. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    We recorded all the vocals for our album with one - worked out great :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    octatonic said:
    It is a good starter mic and I have a couple here.

The problem with microphones is they work differently on different people.
    It is as good a choice as anything if you are buying blind.

Usually I recommend a different mic for acoustic guitar (SDC) than I do a vocal (LDC) though.
    Thank you for the advice, I'm slightly suffering with mic GAS at the moment so may look for a separate small condenser mic for the acoustic recording as long as the NT1-A handles my vocals.
    It can be a bit of a rabbit hole to go down and technique will always trump the technology.

One or two mics will get you pretty good results if you have decent outboard- mic preamps, compression/eq and converters.
    Plus monitoring and acoustics of the rooms.

A lot of the time people try to buy their way out of trouble with a mic only to still try to record in an untreated box room through a £50 interface.
    It doesn't always go that well.
    Just to clarify, I'm not expecting to get top quality studio recordings I just want to try my hand at making music for my own pleasure. I suffer with quite severe mental health issues and my care co-ordinater thinks this could be a good way of relaxing and levelling my state of mind (she's obviously never tried to operate a drum machine!). 
    NT1A will be fine Zepp.
    If you have any questions feel free to ask.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    It's an excellent first studio-type mic. Better than anything cheaper, cheaper than anything better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2019
    ICBM said:
    It's an excellent first studio-type mic. Better than anything cheaper, cheaper than anything better.
    For what it's worth, I've found that the SE2000 is pretty similar (but has more options, namely bass rolloff and pad) and isn't much more.

The SE X1A (yes, really) has the same options and is also excellent, and significantly cheaper than both (about £85 new).
    <space for hire>
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    I've used the older NT-1 for many years on vocals and acoustic guitar.  As has been said, it's a great starter mic.

I'd also echo the comments about the importance of the room.  Your mic budget should include money for some rudimentary acoustic treatment, even if that is just a couple of duvets hung on mic stands.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    We recorded all the vocals for our album with one - worked out great :)
    We did too.  And acoustics
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    NT1A is all over the music in my signature, from vocals to guitars to pianos. Won't go wrong with one.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    edited March 2019
    ICBM said:
    For what it's worth, I've found that the SE2000 is pretty similar (but has more options, namely bass rolloff and pad) and isn't much more.

The SE X1A (yes, really) has the same options and is also excellent, and significantly cheaper than both (about £85 new).
    Ive got a SEX1, our drummer has an NT1A and I also have 2 superlux NT1A knock offs, theyre all pretty close but I have to say that the NT1A jsut edges it for me. My fave mic of my budget pile of stuff is a RODE NT-3 though. its a small diaphragm condenser but I like it more than the NT1A.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    ICBM said:

Ive got a SEX1, our drummer has an NT1A and I also have 2 superlux NT1A knock offs, theyre all pretty close but I have to say that the NT1A jsut edges it for me. My fave mic of my budget pile of stuff is a RODE NT-3 though. its a small diaphragm condenser but I like it more than the NT1A.
    Yeah, SDC mics are great - I've got a pair of AKG C1000S mics which are brilliant multi-purpose things.

I've also got the Superlux E906 knockoff, which is probably the best value mic I've ever come across (albeit only for using with guitar cabs).
    <space for hire>
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    ICBM said:

Yeah, SDC mics are great - I've got a pair of AKG C1000S mics which are brilliant multi-purpose things.

I've also got the Superlux E906 knockoff, which is probably the best value mic I've ever come across (albeit only for using with guitar cabs).
    I got 2 of those..and one of the shure 91A like boundary mics.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Thank you for all the advice, I've ordered the NT-1A's as Amazon reduced the kit slightly to £136. I'll start looking at SDC Mic's for recording acoustic.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    Try the NT-1A on guitar before looking to get a SDC.  I've used an NT-1 on guitar for well over a decade.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    We recorded our vocals on this ep using one: 

https://open.spotify.com/album/1pcKDSOLFk4dXDcNFNsN4e?si=KhHG26vgQeerEj1kF-177w

I recorded my acoustic using it here too if that helps at all:

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    I've got one and I'm very happy with it.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    Deijavoo said:
    We recorded our vocals on this ep using one: 

https://open.spotify.com/album/1pcKDSOLFk4dXDcNFNsN4e?si=KhHG26vgQeerEj1kF-177w

I recorded my acoustic using it here too if that helps at all:

@Deijavoo  that acoustic recording sounds great, do you have any advice on placement of the mic or is it trial and error with different acoustics? Thank you for posting that clip, very inspiring.