BOSS pedals revisited.

What's Hot

Comments

• I’ve just sold a DigiTech Whammy iv because I preferred the BOSS PS-6. Go figure. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited March 2019
    I still have a few....modded DS-1 and GE-7, an old OC-2. All good stuff!
    I heard that almost all Boss pedals are digital now, with a buffer...?

When I saw MIke Stern in the 90s and early this century(!), he was using a battered old DS-1 and 2 Boss digital delays on his board...through an even more beaten up Yamaha solid-state 2x12 combo. He must have had a chorus pedal too but I don't remember what it was. 
    And didn't J Mascis have a load of Boss pedals? ;)  
  • Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    I'd love to see the demographic for all the users that was lyrical about boss.

I honestly think most are over 40
    I'm sure my son of 19 would love to be considered over 40 for using BOSS gear.

He's in an originals band and relies on his gear so he uses BOSS. 

Mind you, he is looking at the Green Day Pedal that's imminent. Wonder how long the BOSS switches will out last that one ;)
  • https://imgur.com/gallery/chb3F1G

EQ-20 just made it back onto my board. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I modded my SD1. I think I just clipped something out. Instant fix to that blanket over speaker sound I had!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    True bypass can do one. It's bullshit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699
    I'd love to see the demographic for all the users that was lyrical about boss.

It hit me hard when I turned 40, within weeks I had a Volvo, pipe and DS1.
     It's only a good job you can't buy them at M&S or I'd have the full collection ;)
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    I'm rocking 6 Boss pedals on my board - fz2, bd2w, tr2 dd2 and 2 x jb2. I love them mostly because they sound great, are reliable, aren't fussy about what amp you use and have silent big switches that you don't have to worry about hitting onstage and you can easily switch more than 1 at once.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • At my last gig, I swapped out my usual pedalboard for a little Boss board due to lack of stage space. An SD1, BD2 & DM2w. It sounded great to me and was a lot of fun to play.  

Ive never noticed the tone suck thing personally.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    If push came to shove, they are my favourite brand. Don’t have many Boss’s on my board right now but I do think they have some pedals which are simply the definitive in their field - digital delay (DD3), “open” drive (BD2), digital chorus (CH1), phaser (PH1r). Have had, and would have again, an all Boss board and been totally happy. 
    And I think, aesthetically, they are beautiful looking. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    Bar a Dunlop wah my board is totally BOSS and I’m not ashamed!

Best sound I’ve ever had!

I am ashamed to say I’m over 40 ;)
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1018
    “Ken sent me.”
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    JDE said:

And I think, aesthetically, they are beautiful looking. 
    Agreed - but more importantly, the best physical design of any pedal.

Why the world has gone back to flat boxes with metal click switches and knobs that are easy to knock when you operate the switch is totally beyond me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    ICBM said:
    Why the world has gone back to flat boxes with metal click switches and knobs that are easy to knock when you operate the switch is totally beyond me.
    They offer more surface area for this week’s fashionably “whacky” graphic paintjob. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd love to see the demographic for all the users that was lyrical about boss.

Well, I'm over 40, but I also live in Japan. And I get to see a large number of young guitarists, and they all use Boss. And it's not nationalism either: they insist on using Fenders or Gibsons rather than any of the excellent Japanese guitars available at half the price.
  • Boss is boss. My drive, chorus and delay are all boss. They sound sweet and seem indestructible 
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7335
    edited March 2019
    Remember when was no-one to talk gear with other than the 'weekender geezer' working in the music shop on a Sat?? You'd take on-board all the misinfo he spouted and then came away with the latest edition of those little BOSS pedal booklets that showed you how to get more FX by quirky linking together your BOSS pedals?? I used to paw over these for months/years wishing I could afford them all...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I did a bit of reading on the killing your bypass tone thing ( stuff on forums, hardly authoritative but there you go) and I think the answer is simply that  Boss pedals have been made over many years and many factories and specs have changed/ drifted so you get examples that are problematic and ones that aren't. But I guess it's only a problem if you hear it and are bothered by it.    
    I remember a time before forums when this kind of stuff wasn’t an issue. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699
    I did a bit of reading on the killing your bypass tone thing ( stuff on forums, hardly authoritative but there you go) and I think the answer is simply that  Boss pedals have been made over many years and many factories and specs have changed/ drifted so you get examples that are problematic and ones that aren't. But I guess it's only a problem if you hear it and are bothered by it.    
    I remember a time before forums when this kind of stuff wasn’t an issue. 
    To be fair I remeber a time before forums when I couldn’t use my EHX micro synth or Russian big muff because when I turned them off my sound was rubbish going through them.  I pretty much give up on effects for years because their affect on my clean sound.  Ironically I could have probably just switched to boss (not that they did a big muff or micro synth!)