peavey valveking combo (mk 1) 50 watt combo speaker recomendation

What's Hot
midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2342
I have been gigging this for the past couple of weeks and probably will be a few more while my katana (which i dearly miss) is away at rolands for repair.
The valveking is not a bad sounding amp but it doesnt cut through like the katana and at 50 watts it has a canabis rex speaker also rated 50 watts so im wondering if i'm risking it too near the limit as i have it quite loud, ie about 2/3     to 3/4 full volume whie  the katana 100 combo was well less than half.
i play mostly classic rock,/pop so go from clean to crunch, i use a zoom g3 through the clean channel only.  Wondering if i should be looking at a different speaker for more bite and volume and if so please recomend me..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    V30. Pretty much the classic rock bite and volume speaker, and although it's only rated for 60W you don't need to have any fear of thrashing it, Celestion rate their speakers very conservatively.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks, will seek one out, always seems to be plenty around ( except now I want one)
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    If it's of any interest, I have a coup!e of Celestion Classic Lead 80 speakers that I'm not using. One 16ohm and one 8ohm so choice of which one suits the amp best.

Better speaker than the V30 imho, more balanced sounding, higher sensitivity and handles more power. £75 shipped.
    edited March 2019
    drwiddly said:
    If it's of any interest, I have a coup!e of Celestion Classic Lead 80 speakers that I'm not using. One 16ohm and one 8ohm so choice of which one suits the amp best.

Better speaker than the V30 imho, more balanced sounding, higher sensitivity and handles more power. £75 shipped.
    That's a good option. A friend had a 100W 2x12" Valve King that we fitted a V30 and Classic Lead pair to - it sounded fantastic. That's a really good combination anyway, but with this amp it just sounded huge.

The sensitivity is actually slightly lower, 99dB - the V30 is 100dB. It's more scooped sounding though, and has noticeably more bottom end, so it balances with the mid peak of the V30 nicely and doesn't sound quieter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    I stand corrected @ICBM. I didn't check and I thought the V30 was 95db  :)
    drwiddly said:
    I stand corrected @ICBM. I didn't check and I thought the V30 was 95db  :)
    95dB would be really weedy... that’s what the Rocket 50 is ;).

The difference in sensitivity between the Classic Lead and V30 is interesting - when they’re together in the same cab they sound the same volume, but it’s also dependent on the music context. To me, the Classic Lead sounds slightly louder and bigger on its own in a one-guitar band, but the V30 definitely cuts through better against another guitar.

• My valveming is just a 1 by 12 so two speakers is not an option. One thing I got to check, I know v30s are quite deep and the cannabis rex is shallow so the space between back of speaker and valves is adequate, not sure if av30 would clear the 6l6 valves.
    edited March 2019
    Both the V30 and the CL80 - and all other H-magnet Celestions, which are the 99 and 100dB models - are 135mm deep.

The Cannabis Rex is 129.5mm, so if there’s at least 6mm between it and the valves the H Celestions will fit.

• ICBM said:
    Both the V30 and the CL80 - and all other H-magnet Celestions, which are the 99 and 100dB models - are 135mm deep.

The Cannabis Rex is 129.5mm, so if there’s at least 6mm between it and the valves the H Celestions will fit.
    It looks as though it could be very tight, there is a sort of cage over the valves which i guess i could remove but makes the valves vulnerable. I might just leave it as is and accept it.
    midlifecrisis said:

It looks as though it could be very tight, there is a sort of cage over the valves which i guess i could remove but makes the valves vulnerable. I might just leave it as is and accept it.
    If this pic is the same model you have it looks like the magnet diameter is the problem not its depth, in which case it probably won't fit - the H magnet is bigger that way too.

In that case the solution is an Alnico Cream - alnico magnets are narrower as well as even deeper - but you probably don't want to know how much they cost...

You could try a Celestion Century Vintage, they have a tiny magnet. Not quite as loud as the V30 but very cutting in a mix - and weighs about as much as a paper plate!

• ICBM said:
    midlifecrisis said:

If this pic is the same model you have it looks like the magnet diameter is the problem not its depth, in which case it probably won't fit - the H magnet is bigger that way too.

In that case the solution is an Alnico Cream - alnico magnets are narrower as well as even deeper - but you probably don't want to know how much they cost...

You could try a Celestion Century Vintage, they have a tiny magnet. Not quite as loud as the V30 but very cutting in a mix - and weighs about as much as a paper plate!
    yes, thats the same as mine.   so i think the v30 and classic lead wont fit. the cream, ive check ed the price,bit much for me. I think i'll lean to live with the cannabis, its not bad sounding and hopefully il have my katana back in a couple of weeks.
    Probably the best option, rather than spend money and find it doesn't fit without taking the valve cage off. Why do they have to make it so tall? The valves aren't...

Just crank the mids and the treble a bit :).

• ICBM said:
    Probably the best option, rather than spend money and find it doesn't fit without taking the valve cage off. Why do they have to make it so tall? The valves aren't...

Just crank the mids and the treble a bit :).
    yes, sometimes i forget about the simple solution,  rehearsal last night i was very dissapointed with tone, telecaster bridge pickup should be cutting like a razor but sounded muffled, even though id cranked the treble right up...... although when i looked properly  i'd cranked the mid right up but the treble was on 0. duh.. teach me to look carefully,  now sounds better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom