The Contrariness of Guitarists.

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30864
They invent the magnicent superstrat- we prefer the painful telecaster
They invent perfect poly finishes- we prefer scuffed faded nitro
They invent Floyds- we prefer Bigsby's
They invent perfect digital modelling- we prefer old crackling valve amps
They invent perfect digital delays- we prefer sticking pieces of tape around spindles and heads
They invent EMG's- we prefer microphonic single coils....

What hope is their for progress?!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Gassage said:
    They invent the magnicent superstrat- we prefer the painful telecaster I don't
    They invent perfect poly finishes- we prefer scuffed faded nitro I don't
    They invent Floyds- we prefer Bigsby's I don't like either
    They invent perfect digital modelling- we prefer old crackling valve amps My valve amps don't crackle
    They invent perfect digital delays- we prefer sticking pieces of tape around spindles and heads 'cos they sound better
    They invent EMG's- we prefer microphonic single coils.... Nah, I like humbuckers

What hope is their for progress?! (sic) Who needs it with a family of decent Gibsons?

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited March 2019
    I know you’re posting partly in jest but - dare I say it - I know many pro guitarists and they tend to go with tech that is reliable, ‘easy’ to use and gets the job done. The whole ‘isn’t 1970 the great God Head of all guitar tone’ shctick tends to belong to collectors and home players.... Of a certain age. (And income bracket)
  • IMHO evertune is the biggest step forward in guitar design since any of the things you mentioned.  But again, I can totally understand the argument for just using a traditional hardtail bridge!

I think the defining reason for each preference there is character, or vibe.  No perfect compromise exists, so ultimately I'd argue picking something with the character/vibe you want is the way to go. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30864
    AlexC said:
    I know you’re posting partly in jest but - dare I say it - I know many pro guitarists and they tend to go with tech that is reliable, ‘easy’ to use and gets the job done. The whole ‘isn’t 1970 the great God Head of all guitar tone’ shctick tends to belong to collectors and home players.... Of a certain age. (And income bracket)

Oh 100%. And I am guilty on both counts. But it's fun.

When I gigged out a lot 06-09, I used a Carl Martin Quattro, a Rat and a Tweed Twin RI and a Les Paul - my Strats were useless cos they didn't cut through like the LP. I don't even own a LP now. But my point is it was a dead simple foolproof rig- nothing to break.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Is no issue with progress but just make sure all the good old faithful and revered models are still available at sensible prices. Thanks.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Wood, wire and magnets. There's only so much you can do with it. You can't reinvent the wheel.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I'm all for simplicity and tried and tested technology. Less things to go wrong.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Sassafras said:
    I'm all for simplicity and tried and tested technology. Less things to go wrong.
    Fewer.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    These are musical instruments, they are each unique with flaws that make thier sound special. Yes you can emulate all these sounds now with a laptop, but where is the fun in that.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22697
    octatonic said:
    Sassafras said:
    Fewer.
    Yes, that too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7817
    It’s nice to have a choice. 
  • Disagree to all points except the EMGs... that's contrary for ya
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Disagree to all points except the EMGs... that's contrary for ya
    I can't possibly agree...!

;)

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Some guitarists spend large amounts of money trying to replicate the guitar sounds from 50 years ago. And yet the parker fly and Steinberger brands fail.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3667
    How far have trumpets, tubas, clarinets, oboes, and cellos evolved in the past seventy years? Guitars and the surrounding technologies are evolving at light speed compared with the rest of the "traditional" instrument landscape.
    DrJazzTap said:
    Some guitarists spend large amounts of money trying to replicate the guitar sounds from 50 years ago. And yet the parker fly and Steinberger brands fail.
    If any guitar made me go WOW it was a Parker Fly.

I felt like a transexual winning an Olympic cycling gold medal, such was the ridiculous advantage it gave me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Gassage said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    If any guitar made me go WOW it was a Parker Fly.

I felt like a transexual winning an Olympic cycling gold medal, such was the ridiculous advantage it gave me.
    I would love to have tried one. And yet the best sounding strat ive ever played was a 3 grand custom shop heavy relic.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    I think the next big thing will be "Robotic tuners." Imagine, a guitar that could tune itself! What an age we would live in. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom