The Contrariness of Guitarists.

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Whitecat said:
    I think the next big thing will be "Robotic tuners." Imagine, a guitar that could tune itself! What an age we would live in. 
    I've just sent it to Gibson as a helpful suggestion...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Here you go- to prove my point, random old man with ancient telecaster blows Satriani and Collen's floydrose do-daas off the stage ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Gassage said:
    Here you go- to prove my point, random old man with ancient telecaster blows Satriani and Collen's floydrose do-daas off the stage ;)

One trick pony, I bet he's crap on an acoustic.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Kilgore said:
    Gassage said:

Off to see him on Sunday. I cannot wait.

As Satch once said, "Tommy is the only man I know that will go toe to toe with you in your style or any style you care to mention and still blow you off the stage...' Amen to that.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Gassage said:
    Kilgore said:
    Gassage said:

Off to see him on Sunday. I cannot wait.

As Satch once said, "Tommy is the only man I know that will go toe to toe with you in your style or any style you care to mention and still blow you off the stage...' Amen to that.
    I'm envious. I've never  seen him live.
    Enjoy!

Great player, raconteur and from what I can tell thoroughly decent human being.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Gassage said:

Wow .. Brian Setzer's aged ... a Tele ... I guess he can't handle the big Gretsch any more ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    @Kilgore one of my cricket mates hails from the same Aussie town as Tommy- and his old man and TE great mates- apparently Tom was a feature at all the local barbies....and let's just say he never went hungry!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    Gassage said:

He uses EMGs, though.

Modernist.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Gassage said:

When I gigged out a lot 06-09, I used a Carl Martin Quattro, a Rat and a Tweed Twin RI and a Les Paul - my Strats were useless cos they didn't cut through like the LP. I don't even own a LP now. But my point is it was a dead simple foolproof rig- nothing to break.
    guessin ya managed to avoid any headstock mishaps, then!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    How far have trumpets, tubas, clarinets, oboes, and cellos evolved in the past seventy years? Guitars and the surrounding technologies are evolving at light speed compared with the rest of the "traditional" instrument landscape.
    those instruments evolved earlier. It took about a generation for a new instrument to supplant an old one.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    Gassage said:
    They invent the magnicent superstrat- we prefer the painful telecaster
    They invent perfect poly finishes- we prefer scuffed faded nitro
    They invent Floyds- we prefer Bigsby's
    They invent perfect digital modelling- we prefer old crackling valve amps
    They invent perfect digital delays- we prefer sticking pieces of tape around spindles and heads
    They invent EMG's- we prefer microphonic single coils....

What hope is their for progress?!
    I do quite like Teles, but...

I like polyurethane finishes best, I like Bigsbys but prefer Strat trems and quite like Floyds for what they do, I use mostly digital - and all-solid-state - effects and amps now, and I've converted all my single-coil guitars and basses to hum-cancelling pickups (stacked or side-by-side).

And I've got the best sounds I've ever had.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17599
    tFB Trader
    It's like explaining to someone riding a horse why motorbikes are better, missing the point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    Gassage said:
    They invent the magnicent superstrat- we prefer the painful telecaster
    They invent perfect poly finishes- we prefer scuffed faded nitro
    They invent Floyds- we prefer Bigsby's
    They invent perfect digital modelling- we prefer old crackling valve amps
    They invent perfect digital delays- we prefer sticking pieces of tape around spindles and heads
    They invent EMG's- we prefer microphonic single coils....

What hope is their for progress?!
    I guess it depends if you want perfection or character. IMHO they're probably mutually exclusive.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Whenever this discussion arises in some form many will state that - you can’t change the wheel, all usuable guitar shapes have been invented, if it ain’t broken don’t fix it, blah, blah, blah.
    All of which is valid, of course. But I think missing the point.
    To me - it’s not guitars themselves that need to be re-invented, or amps that need to be pyramid shaped, it’s about making new music from your own perspective with your own voice and own thing to say. You can do that with a 335 or a pointy Ibanez.
    Sound porocessing - stomp boxes, digital tech, etc, are developing all the time. And that’s just more exciting colours to the palette.
    Some people love Goldtop Les Pauls. Great. Fair enough. Some people love Jazzmasters through a ring modulater. Also great. 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    A tele into a decent valve amp via a tube screamer - job done, sometimes the simple answer is right ;)
    HAL9000 said:

I guess it depends if you want perfection or character. IMHO they're probably mutually exclusive.
    Yes, but you can have imperfection and character with modern gear too, if you want. Even with digital gear, if that's what it's set up to do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    There was an interesting Andertons video recently. A blindfold challenge to identify a guitar amp or pedal.
    Chappers got quite a few wrong. He did not like a 5150 guitar head, but loved the digital model (via a Kemper) of the same amp.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    There was an interesting Andertons video recently. A blindfold challenge to identify a guitar amp or pedal.
    Chappers got quite a few wrong. He did not like a 5150 guitar head, but loved the digital model (via a Kemper) of the same amp.

I haven't seen the video, but I think that's quite a brave thing to do, especially when your audience is a load of bedroom experts who all think they'd be able to do better.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17599
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    HAL9000 said:

Yes, but you can have imperfection and character with modern gear too, if you want. Even with digital gear, if that's what it's set up to do.

Strymon have built a whole business on exactly that.
    monquixote said:

Strymon have built a whole business on exactly that.
    I've just bought a Boss RE-20 too. I don't have an original Space Echo to compare it with, but it sounds pretty close to what I remember - albeit without the whir and hiss of the tape loop going round :). It even accurately models the terrible dustbin-like - but perfect, in context - spring reverb of the original.