Hipster types...

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30888
Yes you lot...

This is truly hilarious.

Hipster whines at tech mag for using his pic to imply hipsters look the same, discovers pic was of an entirely different hipster

YEAH! SCIENCE

By Richard Currie 6 Mar 2019 at 13:26

Normally a headline like "The hipster effect: Why anti-conformists always end up looking the same" would elicit much rolling of eyes here at Vulture Towers.

However, it becomes more intriguing when one learns that the hypothesis described in the article was tested by a series of hilarious post-publication events that then further bolstered the paper's findings.

At the end of February, MIT Technology Review emitted a pithy rundown of a 34-page research paper from maths-modelling boffins at Brandeis University in the US; the paper essentially posited that in a bid to make that all-important "countercultural statement", hipsters can end up looking alike. For groovy models of how random acts by hipsters "undergo a phase transition into a synchronized state" – along with some knotty network equations – see here [PDF].

Accompanying the article was an edited stock image of a generic millennial chap in plaid shirt and standard-issue beanie, or "trendy winter attire", as Getty put it.

The MIT journal's editor-in-chief, Gideon Lichfield, took to Twitter to tell a "cautionary tale" about what followed the article going live:

"We promptly got a furious email from a man who said he was the guy in the photo that ran with the story. He accused us of slandering him, presumably by implying he was a hipster, and of using the pic without his permission. (He wasn't too complimentary about the story, either.)"

Now, as far as I know, calling someone a hipster isn’t slander, no matter how much they may hate it. Still, we would never use a picture without the proper license or model release. It was a stock photo from Getty Images. So we checked the license. https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/photo/styled-for-the-street-royalty-free-image/520911717 …

He said the licence stipulated that if the image was used "in connection with a subject that would be unflattering or unduly controversial to a reasonable person (for example, sexually transmitted diseases)", it had to be made clear that the person was a model.

Lichfield pointed out that he didn't think calling someone a hipster was "unflattering or unduly controversial" but contacted Getty to be safe.

The stock photo giant checked the model release and lo! The guy in the image wasn't even the same dude who was complaining. "He'd misidentified himself," Lichfield said.

"All of which just proves the story we ran: hipsters look so much alike that they can’t even tell themselves apart from each other."

Boom. Thirty-four pages of theory proven in a brief round of email tennis. Your move, hipsters. ®

Shot of a handsome young man in trendy winter attire against a wooden...

Shot of a handsome young man in trendy winter attire against a wooden background

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    Looks nothing like me!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1238
    I seen that story the other day, and I've witnessed it in action.

I worked at a cycling event last year, which appealed to a certain niche. I have never seen so many beards, or people with Tweed bags at once ever before, and they mostly thought they were unique and against the grain. There were however some who truly embraced the humour and admitted to ensuring they were following the stereotype.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Hilarious... so true as well.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    Ever been to a Fretboard jam ? Lots of grey haired guys wearing white t shirts ... ;)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7116
    I'm training to be a barber at the moment and at least 1/2 of the established barbers that come into the shop to do demos etc have big beards , tattoo sleeves and twiddly moustaches. In saying that ones of the hippest hipster ones said that the beard is over and its 1970s style moustaches that are the new hipster essential.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    m_c said:

I worked at a cycling event last year, which appealed to a certain niche. I have never seen so many beards, or people with Tweed bags at once ever before, and they mostly thought they were unique and against the grain. There were however some who truly embraced the humour and admitted to ensuring they were following the stereotype.

That sounds like the Tweed run in Savile Row? Wearing tweed is kind of the point (although beards would be optional).

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Call PC Hipster ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    excellent
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I thought we were avoiding talking about Ariel?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

Hasn't this always been the point with any supposed non conformity? It ends up simply being another clan - punks, goths, rockers, you name em.

Chaps, you are SOOOOOOOOO behind the times. The anti hipster movement has been and gone boys. The bearded, short back n sides, rolled up jeans and tweed jacket look is infra dig. It's all about the post hipster now, oh yah...….

C'mon, don't you read GQ/Esquire/Jackal/Gents Journal/The Guyliner???

Its not longer about Hackney/Dalston/Haggerston/Shoredtich any more. Nah, it's about Barnsley tha knows.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9712
    edited March 2019
    m_c said:

You went to a cycling event where it seems all people talked about was whether they thought they were unique or not, which seems odd - was it a penny farthing rally?

I'm a bit of a hipster but no beard, but then at school I was a bit emo but no fringe or self harm.

Maybe I'm just not committed enough
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    sev112 said:
    Ever been to a Fretboard jam ? Lots of grey haired guys wearing white t shirts ... ;)

Ha
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    hang on, white t shirts are hipster? I've always worn white t shirts, for like, 30+ years. Can't stand logo'd etc t shirts. 

re hairstyles, and I ask as we don't get many hipster types here in deepest, darkest rural devon, are those tossers with the scraggly beards and top knot hair thing going on hipsters? 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    Fretwired said:
    Call PC Hipster ....

I saw a Policeman today with a Beard that would've put W.G Grace to shame, easily 7 inches long, I kid you not. I couldn't help but wonder if it was wise, given the vulnerable situations policemen might find themselves in.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1238
    m_c said:

You went to a cycling event where it seems all people talked about was whether they thought they were unique or not, which seems odd - was it a penny farthing rally?
    It may as well have been!
    I think the best way to describe it would be a cyclocross sportive.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22775
    Fretwired said:
    Call PC Hipster ....

I saw a Policeman today with a Beard that would've put W.G Grace to shame, easily 7 inches long, I kid you not. I couldn't help but wonder if it was wise, given the vulnerable situations policemen might find themselves in.

It's all right, they're never out on the beat nowadays anyway.

Gosh, I'm Ben Elton... bit o' politics there.

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Snap said:
    Nah, it's about Barnsley tha knows.

I can't believe that it is ever about Barnsley.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    edited March 2019
    22 seconds in

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    edited March 2019

I'm a bit of a hipster but no beard, but then at school I was a bit emo but no fringe or self harm.

Maybe I'm just not committed enough
    exactly - Hipsterism is much more than the visual appearance. you have to reside in the correct post code area; coffee choices, career, veganism, Twittersms and even the occasional pipe smoking all have to be adhered to...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Generally speaking, if you someone you identify as a hipster then they probably aren't. Hipsters are not wearing things that everyone else is. What you are seeing is someone wearing basic fashion that hipsters would have worn 3 years ago but would not be seen dead in now.