Clean channel breakup and loudness

What's Hot
gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
So I was watching this: 

And at various points they crank the clean channel of the Orange TH100 to the point where they are getting a lovely crunch tone. I have a TH30 and there is no way I can crank that to the point of decent breakup without my brain melting and leaking out of my ears. It's LOUD. I tried attenuating it to half power and switching to 2 power tubes (instead of 4)...so quarter-ish power...still mental loud. I plugged my Award Session solo booster into the loop (volume pot in a footswitchable box, essentially) and turned that all the way down...still mental.

How the hell did they do that!?

...I need an attenuator.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7282
    maybe theyre jsut playing really really loud?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    By switching the output power to 7 watt, will this encourage it to break up at a lower volume?
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    So I was watching this: 

And at various points they crank the clean channel of the Orange TH100 to the point where they are getting a lovely crunch tone. I have a TH30 and there is no way I can crank that to the point of decent breakup without my brain melting and leaking out of my ears. It's LOUD. I tried attenuating it to half power and switching to 2 power tubes (instead of 4)...so quarter-ish power...still mental loud. I plugged my Award Session solo booster into the loop (volume pot in a footswitchable box, essentially) and turned that all the way down...still mental.

How the hell did they do that!?

...I need an attenuator.

You have to remember that you need 10 times the power for double the volume, so the TH100 really isn't that much louder than your TH30. 

It's only approximately 1.43 times louder. Still mental, but possible not as mental as you think. 

Quarter power on your amp is a similar ratio. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6870
    You can see Lee using ear plugs, but not Rob unless hes got some lodged in deep lol. Funny how things change!

These days Rob will protect his ears before Lee! Haha. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

It is a continuing gripe of mine with ALL YT guitar amp shootouts that nobody ever, ever, EVER puts a sound level meter in shot! You can get a perfectly good one for under 20 quid!

Everything everybody does with sounds and OD quality is related, even TIED to absolute volume level. WTF does everyone ignore that?

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    ecc83 said:

It is a continuing gripe of mine with ALL YT guitar amp shootouts that nobody ever, ever, EVER puts a sound level meter in shot! You can get a perfectly good one for under 20 quid!

Everything everybody does with sounds and OD quality is related, even TIED to absolute volume level. WTF does everyone ignore that?

Dave.

TPS do
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    standing next to/behind the cab will attenuate what they are hearing a lot too