Help! Amp testing in Glasgow

What's Hot
wwwwww Frets: 72
Long story short is that I shipped by Suhr Corso head to a chap in Glasgow this week and on arrival it's not working. It was all working 100% when I shipped it and it was packaged well - I even took the tubes out and wrapped them safely in bubble wrap. He put the tubes in the head, switched it on and then said he heard spitting and popping noises (which it never did before). I got him to check they were all in the right sockets (he assured me they were) and after a few switch on/off he said it wasn't making any noise at all!

So, first step I think is to get it to someone that can test the tubes. Does anyone know somewhere near to the centre that can do this for him? He doesn't have a car so it does need to be central. Any other tips/advice welcome!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    I’ve heard there’s somebody fairly good at Strung Out guitars, eh @ICBM ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    edited March 2019
    Thanks mart .

Yes, I can look at it but not until Thursday unfortunately.

It does sound like either shipping damage - even well-packed, an amp can suffer damage from its own inertia, especially from the transformers, if it’s dropped heavily - or incorrect valve fitting.

It’s very unlikely the valves were damaged in shipping if they were separately wrapped, but if one was put in the wrong socket it might be - I didn’t realise until I checked the spec that it was a 12BH7 amp, they’re interchangeable with the preamp valves...

It’s also possible one got cracked when it was taken out or put back, even if they’re in the right sockets.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ricky50ricky50 Frets: 159
    Stevie Flynn at Flynn Amps - walkable in 5 minutes from Central Station. There is nothing that Stevie doesn’t know about amps. 
  • wwwwww Frets: 72
    Thanks all. I’ve just looked and he’s near Flynn but I’ll mention Strung Out too :)

He’s obviously keen to get it sorted ASAP! My guess is that he has damaged a tube as he did say he was struggling getting them fitted
  • wwwwww Frets: 72
    He's sorted. Needed a new tube
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    I love a story with a happy ending.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom