New amp, recommendations please.

DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
edited March 2019 in Amps
I'm after a small amp for home. Not really interested in valve.  
I'm gonna donate my little blackstar fly to family friend whose learning to play. I don't want to spend over £200. So looking to replace that. 
I'll most likely px some pedals to bring the cost down.
At the moment thinking blackstar or boss katana as I've read good things about both. 
Worst comes to worse I'll get another blackstar fly. 
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    If space is an issue a THR5 or 10 from yamaha sound great and take up not very much space, mine is even allowed out on show in the lounge as my wife likes how it looks!
  • +1 for the Boss Katana.  The 0.5w mode is great for home use.  The built in effects are useful but the amp also takes in pedals well.  
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
    If you want the best bang for buck, Katana 50, or maybe 100 (but it's bigger and a bit more expensive).

If you want something wife-friendly, the THR 5 or 10 or the Vox Handbag.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Vox Mini5 Rhythm. I think it sounds great and looks really nice, much more like a proper amp on both counts, has a lot of useful features, and is about £120.

I haven't tried the Vox Handbag, Katana or THR5 yet, but the THR10 sounds vastly better than the Blackstars as well. OK, I accept that it's a lot more expensive too, but the 5 would be a better choice if you can't spend that much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    ICBM said:
    Vox Mini5 Rhythm. I think it sounds great and looks really nice, much more like a proper amp on both counts, has a lot of useful features, and is about £120.

I haven't tried the Vox Handbag, Katana or THR5 yet, but the THR10 sounds vastly better than the Blackstars as well. OK, I accept that it's a lot more expensive too, but the 5 would be a better choice if you can't spend that much.
    I gather the 10 and the 5 are the same power and basic functions, the 10 has a bass and an acoustic setting and you can save patches from the software.  I have used the software with the 5 but you don't need it.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    I have a Blackstar ID Core and a Katana 100.

The Katana sounds much more like a real amp.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Thanks guys. A few amps I've not even considered!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    have you considered pc / phone or tablet software modelers  into headphones or soundbar or monitors ? 
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Do you need built in effects ? 
  • +1 for the yamaha THR.  Lots of tones and effects in a small package.
    kt66 said:
    Do you need built in effects ? 
    Not necessarily
    The family friend won a load of money on the horses, so is using some of that money to buy a new Fender modelling amp- £130 odd. I'll be getting my little blackstar fly back.
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    +1 for the Yamaha THR. I have the 10C and it sounds great, doesn't take up much space and it can go pretty loud. There's a headphone socket too for silent playing
  • Katana all day m9
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1018
    DrJazzTap said:
    The family friend won a load of money on the horses, so is using some of that money to buy a new Fender modelling amp- £130 odd. I'll be getting my little blackstar fly back.
    Thought you meant £££££££££!, £130 ?? That would cover a set of tubes :)
    “Ken sent me.”
    DrJazzTap said:
    Thought you meant £££££££££!, £130 ?? That would cover a set of tubes :)
    Well he's getting married next year and is a beginner. Think only won about £300.
  • FenderishFenderish Frets: 47
    for small practice yet versatility and ease of use, I like the Line6 amplifi 30. sounds very good at bedroom volume with backtracks and all.