USB 3.2 2x2

Other than the name what is the point of this standard. Offers 20Gbit/s throughput, I really can't think of a use case for this outside of server side storage requirements for this kind of bandwidth.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Other than the name what is the point of this standard. Offers 20Gbit/s throughput, I really can't think of a use case for this outside of server side storage requirements for this kind of bandwidth.

it would be handing for backing up your hard drive. 

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Well now USB4 has been announced with 40Gbps speeds!

Maths is easier, so 5GB (or a DVD give-or-take) per second.

Will be great for backing up, or cheaply adding fast storage to a small laptop.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    But no single drive can sustain that kind of performance you would need a back-up array with lots of disks. Not really something you would use USB for. A switch and network would be more suitable so it is multi-user
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    But no single drive can sustain that kind of performance you would need a back-up array with lots of disks. Not really something you would use USB for. A switch and network would be more suitable so it is multi-user
    A hub connected to your computer with multiple drives/devices connected will suffer no slowdown when its busy... you could have a RAID of SSDs for super fast storage, a Ethernet over USB, several monitors etc all connected to a hub. Get home and plug in one cable to your laptop and everything is connected and that connection even charges your laptop

Devices like VR headsets want 90+ Hz, with 1080p (x1.5 ish) currently but at that resolution you get screen door effects and the refresh make it look odd/blurry. Next gen devices will have higher resolution and eventually higher refresh rates, and presumably the colourspace will be increased too

Of course if you think USB 3.2 2x2 is pointless I hate to break it to you, but USB4 is now ratified as a standard and is much faster!!! Thunderbolt 3 is being made free and re-named a USB4 (yes, they lost the space... for reasons)
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    Make the hub multi user and I can see the point.
    VR displays are powered by the GPU where we already have different standards and VR using a cable is really restrictive. Surely we would be better if developing a wireless USB/display standard and just use ethernet technology for all the other high bandwidth stuff, which can be multi user and already works over greater distances.