NGD - Ivison DC 59 Jnr

What's Hot
CollingsCollings Frets: 411
I don't usually do this but the new guitar in question is a 59 double cut junior made by forum member @miserneil 

I've been a massive fan of Gibson juniors and specials since I was a kid and some of my favourite tones have been made by players using p90 equipped guitars through a crunchy valve amp.

I had a Collings 290 DCS which was a great Junior style guitar and also a standard Collings 290 which is their take on a special. However I let the 290 DCS go a little under 12 months ago to fund a Collings I35 but missed the simple Junior format so had been on the lookout for a replacement.

I happened to read Neil,s 
@miserneil thread on his build of a couple of DC juniors on the forum and checked his website and they looked great and well worth checking out. http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/134322/ivison-guitars-59-dc-model-build-thread/p1 

I contacted Neil a couple of months back to find out if he had any built and ready for sale and he had two in a store in Macclesfield but somehow I never managed to get the time to go and try them. Then I saw some coverage from the Birmingham guitar show which raised my interest again so I contacted Neil again to ask if either of the show guitars were available and after a few emails I agreed to buy the DC before even playing it. This is unusual for me as I always like to try before I buy but I decided to take the plunge simply based on the build thread and Neil's obvious obsession with juniors.

So its a 59 double cut Junior made pretty much to vintage correct specs. First off it looks great, aged but not beaten to death!. The neck is fantastic and reminds me of the 59 type profile on a Huber Orca I have, but maybe just slightly bigger, and very comfortable to play. It has a great ring when played unplugged which is satisfying.

Now the best bit - Plugged into that crunchy valve amp if roars with the volume up full but knock it back to 3 or 4 and is does a great clean tone and its very touch sensitive like a good p90 equipped guitar should be. I believe the p90 is a Oil City from another forum member.

So if your looking for a vintage junior I would highly recommend you checking out Neil's guitars.

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments