Summer holiday this year? Maybe Tenby Wales?

What's Hot
Looking for some recommendations for a family summer holiday this year. We normally hit either North Devon or Cornwall but fancy a change of scenery this year. I hear parts of Wales are similar in coastline and activities to the south west of England. 

Anyone got recommendations for places in Wales? Must be near a decent beach with enough going on to keep kids (11 & 14) going for a week ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    West Wales is beautiful and Tenby is a lovely little town but don't expect to find the same level of attractions/activities that you get in the West Country.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 535
    St Davids bay is stunning.
    It is lovely. Lot of city types head that way so it may be a bit pricey but I am sure there is lots of choice.

North Wales, to the west of Snowdon is some stunning coastline. You get the best of it all up there. Mountains, clear lakes, and lovely beaches. 
    Stay in Betws-y coed (excuse spelling) and head out each day for something new. 

The climbers cafe in Llanberis is also a must. Well, I love it! 

If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Another vote for North Wales. Really nice beaches and scenery up on Anglesey, and plenty of activities to do and things to see (the hydroelectric plant inside a hollowed mountain does tours and it's like being on the set of a Bond movie - teen boys will love it).
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    FastEddie said:

Pete's Eats?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    You could go to New Quay, nice small seaside town with lots going on. I saw Ellie Simmonds there. 
    Lots of family friendly activities in North Wales/ Snowdonia like Bounce Below. Portmerion is a must see day trip. Harlech has an amazing beach although it's not a seaside town in the traditional sense ( the town is quite a way from the beach). 
    I like Angelsey but I have relatives there. Fairly quiet, Beaumaris and LlanfairPG are popular visits and by contrast you have Holyhead which is top ten shit towns of Britain in anyone's list. But beaches, surfing, nice restaurants and local produce on the rest of the island. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
    Could maybe make it a multi point holiday and do south and north..? Sounds like there's enough to do a bit of both
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    For geological reasons, the scenery of Pembrokeshire is similar to Cornwall, whilst Carmarthenshire is similar to Southern Devon. 

Tenby? Crawling with bloody tourists! (To say nothing of the bloody natives!) A lot of the attractions in the town are tacky. Kids will like the nearby theme parks. Your wallet might not. There are three coasteering centres in the county. Birds and dolphin spotters could enjoy a boat trip. Pædohunting vigilante types might prefer a day trip to Caldey Island. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    The Gower coast is beautiful with some absolutely brilliant beaches like Rhossili Bay. Swansea is close by if you want other things to do, plus Cardiff isn’t too far off either and that’s got Techniquest for the kids and the castle. 

You could also help out Emp with his boat and flooring projects while you’re there.  ;)
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Wales is great but no question it will be pissing down
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    You could go to New Quay, nice small seaside town with lots going on. I saw Ellie Simmonds there. 
    Lots of family friendly activities in North Wales/ Snowdonia like Bounce Below. Portmerion is a must see day trip. Harlech has an amazing beach although it's not a seaside town in the traditional sense ( the town is quite a way from the beach). 
    I like Angelsey but I have relatives there. Fairly quiet, Beaumaris and LlanfairPG are popular visits and by contrast you have Holyhead which is top ten shit towns of Britain in anyone's list. But beaches, surfing, nice restaurants and local produce on the rest of the island. 
    https://youtu.be/EPZ1zfUksKk

Quite a lot of Zip World and Bounce Below on YouTube, this is the less scarey bit. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I'm North Wales based, there is flipping loads to do, all within an hours drive of each other if you stay central ish (think Llandudno)

Betws is lovely if you are the outdoors type for sure.

It will start mounting up in cost if you do all the activities though (Surf Snowdonia, Train up Snowdon, Zip World, Forest Coaster etc... etc...)
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 535
    FastEddie said:

Pete's Eats?
    Yep.
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    Dorset is also lovely: Jurassic Coast, Lullworth Cove, Durdle Door, Studland Beach, Corfe Castle, Poole Harbour, Sandbanks, Brownsea Island, Blue Flag Beaches, Swanage, Purbeck.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Tenby is great, local beaches like freshwater east and freshwater west, bosherston Lilly pond and beach are excellent. Very uncommercial, if the family will amuse themselves with rock pools, sandy beaches, rocky outcrops to climb and long walks. If they are teenagers then that might not be their thing!
    I took my new partner to Tenby last year for her first visit and she didn't want to leave, I thought there would be tears! 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16081
    Dorset is also lovely: Jurassic Coast, Lullworth Cove, Durdle Door, Studland Beach, Corfe Castle, Poole Harbour, Sandbanks, Brownsea Island, Blue Flag Beaches, Swanage, Purbeck.
    I second that or Salcombe in S Devon .......spent many childhood holidays in Salcombe sailing in the Estuary
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24262
    What's wrong with you ?  Get your arse abroad where there's a near certainty of sun and warmth.  All you'll get down here is cold and damp!  (or Hypothermia if you go for a swim).
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    edited March 2019
    I agree swanage/lulworth is nice.  We go to Cornwall every year in May, this year we are going o a different house on the lizard with a pool and hot tub to see if its worth the extra.  In the summer holidays we are going to the Gower Peninsula with a bigger group as we have always wanted to go there.

I also love the norfolk broads boating, don't know if I would want to be there in school holidays though.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Emp_Fab said:
    What's wrong with you ?  Get your arse abroad where there's a near certainty of sun and warmth.  All you'll get down here is cold and damp!  (or Hypothermia if you go for a swim).
    I agree the appeal of Wales isn't primarily its weather but I'm not bothered by clouds and rain.  I'll be in Powys again soon and I'm so looking forward to it.  I live in London... now think of mid-Wales.  That's why I love the place. 

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Emp_Fab said:
    This message was brought to you by the Welsh Tourist Board.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512

Yeah this is a closer and possibly drier option. Done the Bournemouth area but didn't get down to swanage and beyond...