Summer holiday this year? Maybe Tenby Wales?

What's Hot

Comments

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
    munckee said:
    I agree swanage/lulworth is nice.  We go to Cornwall every year in May, this year we are going o a different house on the lizard with a pool and hot tub to see if its worth the extra.  In the summer holidays we are going to the Gower Peninsula with a bigger group as we have always wanted to go there.

I also love the norfolk broads boating, don't know if I would want to be there in school holidays though.
    Norfolk was mentioned but we thought there might not be enough to do especially as you wont have the waves that you get when you head west..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    munckee said:
    I agree swanage/lulworth is nice.  We go to Cornwall every year in May, this year we are going o a different house on the lizard with a pool and hot tub to see if its worth the extra.  In the summer holidays we are going to the Gower Peninsula with a bigger group as we have always wanted to go there.

I also love the norfolk broads boating, don't know if I would want to be there in school holidays though.
    Norfolk was mentioned but we thought there might not be enough to do especially as you wont have the waves that you get when you head west..
    Nice beaches and pottering around on the river/broads is brilliant, you can let the kids drive the boat (they have to go pretty slow) and there's proper seaside towns, great yarmouth  etc if you want fun fairs etc.  It just gets rammed in the summer holidays, same reason we don't do cornwall or devon then.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24263
    Grunfeld said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    What's wrong with you ?  Get your arse abroad where there's a near certainty of sun and warmth.  All you'll get down here is cold and damp!  (or Hypothermia if you go for a swim).
    I agree the appeal of Wales isn't primarily its weather but I'm not bothered by clouds and rain.  I'll be in Powys again soon and I'm so looking forward to it.  I live in London... now think of mid-Wales.  That's why I love the place. 

Mid Wales is a collection of old cottages dotted between billions of acres of grass and hills.  You can't overtake on any of the roads because they've all got a bend in every ten yards.  It smells of animal shit and is always pissing down.

Oh - and you'll get stuck behind a tractor for thirty miles.

North Wales is like Mordor, except the occupants speak Elvish whilst gargling marbles.  There's absolutely nothing there whatsoever but rocks.  It's also dangerously close to the land of Scouse, and on the other side, the Alien reservation that is Anglesey.  The North Walians and the South Walians are as different as the Scots and the Egyptians.

South Wales is a beach paradise, Pembrokeshire in particular has some of the clearest sea water you'll ever see in the UK.
    All of it at sub-zero temperatures, all year round.  Summer lasts three days and it fucking rains for two of those.  The rest of the year we're clad in darkness with forboding skies, horizontal rain and misery.

Come to Wales, get damp, leave disappointed.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Emp_Fab said:
    What's wrong with you ?  Get your arse abroad where there's a near certainty of sun and warmth.  All you'll get down here is cold and damp!  (or Hypothermia if you go for a swim).
    I guess like Cornwall but abroad and not Wales and not too far is Brittany. Even has it’s own St Michael’s Mount. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    Emp_Fab said:
    Mid Wales is a collection of old cottages dotted between billions of acres of grass and hills.  You can't overtake on any of the roads because they've all got a bend in every ten yards.  It smells of animal shit and is always pissing down.
    I'm right in the middle of Powys and it hasn't rained for at least 12 minutes. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    Dorset,Devon Cornwall ,Wales,Ireland.......all are very beautiful but being Westerly they take the full Atlantic rain shadow as the first landfall..........North Portugal and Galicia in Spain are the same but warmer.
    You just know that you will have more wet than dry days.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited March 2019
    If possible, best thing would be not to book now, wait until summer and when the forecast is good and book last minute. Here in Snowdonia it’s glorious when it’s warm and sunny, not so when it’s wet, cold, windy, misty.  Last summer during that heat wave I even had a swim in the sea at Harlech beach, something that I would normally consider out of the question due to it being freezing cold 99% of the time. The beach is a huge expanse of sand,  it was like just being in France! I take my family to Pembrokeshire every summer and stay with relatives, stunning coast and beaches, I prefer the rougher northern coast with it’s little coves and harbours. Love the place. A bit of rain doesn’t bother me. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9593
    Emp_Fab said

The North Walians and the South Walians are as different as the Scots and the Egyptians.
    This, like the rest of your post, is bollocks.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    A sheep said:
    Here in Snowdonia it’s glorious when it’s warm and sunny, not so when it’s wet, cold, windy, misty... A bit of rain doesn’t bother me. 

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

The North Walians and the South Walians are as different as the Scots and the Egyptians.
    This, like the rest of your post, is bollocks.
    Fuck me, you're a happy little chap tonight aren't you ?

Of COURSE my post is bollocks.  Frankly, I'm amazed you felt the need to point that out.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pembrey Counrty Park - huge beach not as crowded as gower, horse riding, dry ski slope. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Emp_Fab said:
     When I saw the thread title I just assumed the OP fancied trying boat salavage on his hols. It's not exactly a hot tip anymore, but then the Mary Rose just lay around for the best part of half a millenium before someone got around to it...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Emp_Fab said:
    The North Walians and the South Walians are ... different.
    Correct. They cannot even agree on how to pronounce some bits of their language(s). Emp's Mordor reference is overstating things ever so slightly but, compared to just about anybody, the Gogledds are weird.

Emp_Fab said:
    Pembrokeshire in particular has some of the clearest sea water you'll ever see in the UK.
    Not next to the oil refinery jetties, it doesn't! 

I prefer the rougher Northern coast. 
    Shh! Don't encourage the grockles. We don't want them infesting the area. They'll frighten the choughs.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    edited March 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    Grunfeld said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I agree the appeal of Wales isn't primarily its weather but I'm not bothered by clouds and rain.  I'll be in Powys again soon and I'm so looking forward to it.  I live in London... now think of mid-Wales.  That's why I love the place. 

Oh - and you'll get stuck behind a tractor for thirty miles.

North Wales is like Mordor, except the occupants speak Elvish whilst gargling marbles.  There's absolutely nothing there whatsoever but rocks.  It's also dangerously close to the land of Scouse, and on the other side, the Alien reservation that is Anglesey.  The North Walians and the South Walians are as different as the Scots and the Egyptians.

South Wales is a beach paradise, Pembrokeshire in particular has some of the clearest sea water you'll ever see in the UK.
    All of it at sub-zero temperatures, all year round.  Summer lasts three days and it fucking rains for two of those.  The rest of the year we're clad in darkness with forboding skies, horizontal rain and misery.

Come to Wales, get damp, leave disappointed.
    That is one of your best ever posts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Lol Pembrokeshire is lovely, it’s on the Gulf Stream and has amazing beaches but whether there is a lot for kids to do it’s down to them tbh
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited March 2019

Pembrokeshire I highly recommend for a holiday. My parents are from the north of the county and I've visited countless times and now take my kids there for hols. Tenby can get a bit crowded at peak times, but it and the wider area has plenty to keep the kids entertained. Folly Farm has a good zoo. Oakwood theme park for rides. Blue Lagoon water park. Several Castles: Carew, Manorbier, Pembroke's huge medieval towers and walls is a good one. Castell Henllys iron age fort with recreated round huts is a good visit. Beaches galore, some near towns, others remote. Boat trips; a day trip to Skomer to see Puffins, maybe Dolphins if your lucky. Preseli mountains and the coastal path for walks. Carmarthern not too far for a day in town/shopping.  Weather? No different from Cornwall/Devon.

My personal tip which I stumbled upon last summer; Café Mor at Freshwater West beach, tasty 'street food' from the sea. The lobster roll with seaweed mayonnaise was utterly delicious.

https://beachfood.co.uk/cafe-mor.php

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

Being from the N West, we went to Wales a lot for holidays as a kid. the south is better. And yes, the weather is shit, but being from Lancashire, I was used to the damp and a permanently snotty nose from all the rain and that.

Conway and Colwyn Bay are nice. Also have fond memories of Tenby, Manobier and Saundersfoot.

What about Abersoch? Supposed to be nice.

If you aren't after heat, you could of course venture further out for massive beaches, great people and not be too overrun with tourists and busy roads - go to Northumberland.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    /\ still Bollocks...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I'm Llandudno based and there is a shit ton of stuff to do up here as long as you have a good coat.. saying that yesterday had blue skys mixed with a slight hail storm and sub zero temperatures. Was a lovely day. Brisk.

Bounce below is great, same site as massive zip wire, and also underground zip course, which is a silly amount of fun.
    Surf Snowdonia is great, as is electric mountain. Have the great Orme in Llandudno for a cheaper day, lots of walks, trams & mini golf, copper mines.
    Snowdon is half an hour drive away and that's a great day.
    Colwyn bay beach is a good one (good coat needed again)
    Betws Y Coed nearby(ish) nice place again. Also a couple of smaller theme parks nearby and stuff like that. 

Plenty to do. 

Lots of campsites too as you'll need to save money on the cost of some of these things and a good coat..

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Tenby is lovely, a long with all that's been listed to do, Dylan Thomas boat house is just down the road too.