NPD: EQD Spatial Delivery

eogeog Frets: 40
This is my first proper post on here (aside from the intro post in the Newbie section) - hope I'm doing it right!

Been wanting to buy an envelope filter for a while, and after an obsessive amount of time spent online looking at options, I finally decided to go for EQD's Spatial Delivery. 

Initially, I was considering the EHX Q-Tron, but the fact that it takes 24V and takes up a lot of board real estate convinced me that I should look elsewhere. It's not a pedal that I would use all (or even most) of the time, and making allowances for these things was not something I was willing to do, even at a decent price. 

Long story short, I bought the Spatial Delivery. It looks a lot simpler than some of the alternatives, but the combination of controls it has makes it really versatile. It ticks a lot of boxes for someone like me, who wants to be able to access a range of sounds from a simple pedal that doesn't take up too much extra space.

What differentiates it from a lot of other envelope filters is that there's no toggle to switch between low/high/band-pass. You have a dial instead that crossfades between the three, with a lot of sweet spots on there! The other two are for sensitivity and feedback, and work as you would expect. There's a toggle for up and down modes, as well as 'Sample and Hold.' I only tried S&H for a few minutes, but I could already tell that it's not my kind of thing..

On the whole, the controls are really intuitive, and I was able to dial in a range of nice tones within minutes of plugging it in. I was able to get a nice deep warbly kind of tone, and through to a quacky funky kind of tone. I am going to have a lot of fun with this one. 

In case of interest, I tried it after a compressor and into the front of the amp at first. I thought it sounded pretty good, but moving it to the fx loop (no compressor) really brought it to life. I've seen multiple different suggestions for where to put it in the chain, and what it goes with, but I think this the spot for me. Your mileage may vary and all that. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    I had one of these for a while and loved it but filters aren't my thing so I let it go.

The thing i liked was that you could get a lot of different sounds out of it, its not like a lot of filters that basically only do one sound. 

PS the S&H mode is awesome stick with it! 
  • solarsolar Frets: 174
    I have one of these! Got it on a whim in a trade, but liked it so much I sold my DOD 440 in favour of it. As well as the normal "I can't operate a wah pedal" solo enlivening, it sounds great in the loop of my EHX Superego as a synthy evolving drone generator, and the sample & hold mode is fun for rhythmic weirdness.
  • eogeog Frets: 40
    Cheers, sounds like I should take a closer look at S&H!